Chapter 3

Christa

        I don't know where I am. It's been dark for so long now and I can't open my eyes no matter how hard I try. My body has no feeling, but I feel a pressure in my hand every once in a while. I also hear people talking, multiple people, some I don't know and some I couldn't forget in my life. They talked about me, and Pete, but mostly they talked about me. Half the time I couldn't hear them, as I would lose consciousness and completely black out from the world. I try to wake up, I do, but I am stuck in a never ending nightmare, only able to talk to everyone by trying to squeeze their hand when they squeeze mine. I feel like a corpse.... maybe I already am.

        “So I want you guys to say whatever you want before we do it.” My hearing caught the voice of a man's deep voice, unrecognizable. I caught a bunch of humming in my right ear that was followed by a bunch of shuffling. A squeak pierced my ears, normally it would cause me to flinch back but I still couldn't feel any part of my body, and caused groaning to come from the remaining people.

        “Hey Christa,” I recognized that voice; it was Joe. He placed what I am assuming is his hand on my shoulder and rubbed it just hard enough that I could feel a slight tingle. He was sniffling and struggling to find words. “I just wanted to say that I love you like the best sister I never had... and I wish... you would just wake up... I'm gonna... I'm gonna miss you... a lot...” The tingle stopped and I heard his footsteps moving farther away from me. I tried calling his name, but my mouth refused to open. I heard someone walk over to where Joe was and someone start coming closer to me.

        “Hey... um... Christa...” It was Andy. He was crying, you could tell from his deep breaths and shaky words. He placed his hand on my forearm and rubbed it. “I really... really... wish any of this... ever happened... You don't... you don't deserve this... no one deserves this... and you're... you're so amazing... you should have never.... had to feel that bad.... I am gonna.... I'm gonna miss you a ton.” He stepped back, no footsteps followed his loss of connection with my arm, and just stood there. I wanted to scream, to jump out of this bed I was trapped in, and hug both of them, but my limbs were not responding. I felt chained down. I screamed on the inside as loud as I could, but nothing came out. The only thing audible in the room was a beep every so often and the sobs of my best friends.

        “It's okay Andy, go with Joe.” Patrick. You could hear the sadness in his voice, and it tore my heart up. He grabbed my hand and squeezed hard. I squeezed back slightly, trying to put as much force into the hold as he was, but I couldn't. “Hey Christa.” He took a deep breath. “I know we've only known each other for a few years now and I wanted to tell you that I have loved you like my own family since I first talked to you. You've always been such a lovely, happy, energetic girl and I hate that this happened... and that I wasn't there for you... I wasn't there... It's my fault you're here!” He practically yelled that last sentence and I heard Andy whisper to him, telling him it was everyone's fault. “I could have been there though...” He could barely talk now, the sobs taking over his body. “And I am so, so sorry that I wasn't... When this all started, I should've been by your side... Progress report: I'll be missing you to death. I will never forget you, I mean, how could I? You're one of the best friends I have ever had... and you have a permanent spot in my heart. Always.” He gripped my hand harder and I felt a tear roll down my cheek. Even if my whole body was numb, my whole heart ached.

        Why are they saying goodbye?

        I heard a faint click and a woman's voice ask them something.

        “Yes, I think we're ready...” Patrick didn't let go of my hand, and I heard the guys walk over to the side of the bed next to him.

        Wait... Where's Pete? Did he not... make it?!

        “Okay, if everyone is ready, I'll do it.” The nurse's high pitched voice broke the silence and I heard her shoes click against the floor.

        “'Cause it's gonna get better...” Patrick's voice was low and full of dread. I tried at one last attempt to scream, still no luck. I felt another tear roll down my cheek and onto my neck.

        “It's gonna work out, give it a minute...” I heard tapping on a keyboard and someone flipped a switch.

        “It's gonna turn around...”

        It's getting hard to breathe. No matter how hard I try to gasp for air, my mouth or nose won't open up and allow the new air into my lungs.

        “'Cause it's gonna get better...”

        I can't breathe anymore. My body is losing what little sense of touch it had and my hearing is fading.

        Guess I'm coming for you Pete...

        “It's gonna get better...”

        Then there was nothing.