Chapter 6

Patrick

        “You could have fucking waited... you just didn't want to...” I stared at Pete in shock. Did he really not believe we tried waiting? Did he think we wanted to hurt him like this? Did he act-

        My thoughts were cut off as a soaring pain shot through my cheek. The force caused me to slam into the wall. My head went light and my vision faded to black for a second. I couldn't keep my balance anymore and collapsed to the floor. I felt the blood pooling up in my palm as I held my eye in a pure daze.

        Did Pete just punch me?

        I couldn't understand everything that happened within the last twenty minutes. My life just turned to hell within that time and it's hard to grasp everything that lead to this moment where I'm doubled over on the floor with an already swollen eye. I had bit my tongue at the sudden force of Pete's fist and the coppery taste of blood invaded my whole palette. I couldn't speak, but managed out a small groan to tell them I wasn't knocked out.

        “I'm so sorry...” I could barely hear Pete over the ringing in my ears but could make out every single thud of his foot against the tiled floor as he ran away.

        “Dude, are you okay?!” Andy and Joe both came over to help me up.

        “Yeah, I'm fine...” I turned around, searching for Pete to see if he was here at all. “We need to get Pete.” They both nodded without hesitation and they started running down the hallway, me lagging behind slightly. As we were running, my eye swelled to the point that I couldn't see anything.

        “Pete!?” Andy desperately screamed through the hallways of the hospital. I was going to join him, but all the nurses and doctors we passed on our speedy exit shot us dirty looks and I felt bad, besides, visiting hours are over and everyone is trying to sleep. Plus, I am out of breath from the constant running; the only break I had was the few second long elevator ride a while back. We came around a corner and I noticed two people sitting at a desk.

        “Did a man run through here a minute ago??” I looked at each of them. Before one nodded and pointed towards the exit. “Thanks!” Andy was already out the door screaming Pete's name as loud as he can. Joe and I raced to get with him just as he started going again.

        “I see him guys! PETE!” I struggled with running through the parking lot because half of my already bad vision was gone and I kept running into the corners and mirrors of cars. The only thing I really had going was my hearing; I was blindly following Andy's yells. I ran, too out of breathe to scream with Andy, until I saw Pete start to drive. I changed course. Luckily, my car was just one row behind me and I reached it in no time. I jumped in, quickly throwing on my seat belt, and started the car. Joe was already pulling out of his parking space, as was Andy, and Pete had already drove off leaving me as the slowest of all of us.

        I pulled my phone from my pocket as I followed their cars out onto the fairly empty streets and dialed Pete's number. “Pick up Pete!” His answering recording lady made a grunt of frustration come out of me. “Pete, PICK UP THE PHONE!” I was practically screaming into the phone and realized that probably made it worse so I redialed. When the lady finished speaking, I spoke. “Pete, sorry for yelling... We don't hate you man! We know you're upset and we just want to be here, so stop the car please!” I hung up and messaged him repeatedly before looking up and seeing where we were heading.

        Not the interstate...

        I put my phone on the console and focused on where I was going. Andy and Joe were in front of me, a semi was in the next lane, and I couldn't see Pete through their cars. I looked around; there was barely anybody on the road tonight.