Chapter 5 - "I'm not a lady."

Gigi stood stunned before the mirror, her skin tingling and smelling of lilies. The girl before her was nothing like the girl she knew herself to be. The girl before her was a lady, not a vagabond. Her black curls were pinned up. She wore a deep blue dress, which accented her dark, hazelnut skin. The bodice was fitted to her slim waist and the silk skirt draped over her hips, flaring slightly as it dropped to the floor.

Tearing her eyes away from the mirror, she looked down at her hands. Clean half moon nails smiled up at her. The traces of dirt that had lived beneath them for so long was completely gone. Hearing the sound of footsteps on the wooden floor, she looked over. A willowy maid, only a couple years older than Gigi, with soft blonde hair pulled into a neat bun, light brown eyes and a round face, emerged from the bathroom.

"Is there anything else you require, Lady?" the maid asked, giving her a small curtsy.

Gigi blushed.

"Margo, I am not a lady. Please call me Gigi," she said, turning away from the mirror, to face her.

Margo bowed her head.

"If you wish it, Lady," she said, her voice light like a spring breeze.

Before Gigi could repeat her request, for the 5th time since she had met Margo, there came a knock on her door. A second later her mother stepped into her room. Gigi blinked. For the first time she could see the girl, her own age, who had run away seventeen years ago. Her mother moved with the effortless grace of a bird in flight. The lavender dress showcased her elegant curves. Gigi brushed down the front of her own dress, feeling self conscious in comparison, her body thin leaning towards unhealthy.

Annaleigh brightened at the sight of Gigi, a loving smile sliding into place. She stepped towards her, hands outstretched.

"My beautiful daughter," she said, cupping Gigi's face.

Blushing, Gigi shifted, her feet unaccustomed with being confined. Elkly appeared in the doorway, his face as impassive as ever.

"Lady Annaleigh," he said.

Annaleigh tuned.

"Yes, Elkly?"

Elkly bowed his head.

"Lord and Lady Brixton have summoned you," he said.

Annaleigh looked back to Gigi, hesitation flickering through her expression. When Annaleigh's eyes focused on Gigi, she gave her a small reassuring smile.

"It's time dearest. Remember what I taught you," she said.

Gigi nodded, her chest tightening. Annaleigh kissed Gigi on the forehead then focused on Elkly, her spine stiffening.

"Lead the way, Elkly," she said, her tone calm.

He bowed and moved back into the hallway, Annaleigh and Gigi following. Walking beside her mother, Gigi felt acutely aware of her limbs, feeling as if they were out of proportion to her body. Each step lacked the smooth gait of her mother's. As they moved down the hallway, Gigi stumbled slightly, the hem of her dress slipping beneath her feet. Her mother's hand caught her. Without a word of correction, Annaleigh picked up the side of her own dress and nodded to Gigi. Gigi did likewise, her cheeks holding a deep blush.

Elkly lead them through a maze of corridors, passing servants that bowed and curtsied when they saw Annaleigh. At a set of heavy, wooden doors Elkly stopped. He nodded to the guard standing by. The guard stepped forward and pulled the door open, revealing a spacious sitting room. A balmy breeze floated in through the open doorways, fluttering the curtains and trailing in a flowery scent. Standing by a set of carved wooden chairs were Lord and Lady Brixton, both elegantly dressed.