Chapter 16 - "Say what you must say and let's move on."

Gigi ascended the stone stairs to the terrace. Around her a symphony of voices filled the air, accented by the bright notes of laughter. Across the grounds were tables set up and covered by silk umbrellas. Lounging beneath their shade were nobles, without a care in the world. Servants moved back and forth from a large banquet table, supplying the nobles with all means of nourishment.

Gigi glanced back, assuring herself that her previous, eager-eyed male companion had not attempted to follow her. Letting out a breath, she leaned against the palace's marble walls, soaking in the coolness. From her hidden perch, she watched the scene beyond the railing. Eyes flashed with intrigue, giddiness, and scandal. Bodies leaned forward in anticipation as others shifted, stirred and lost interest. Smiles ran through words and spoke of things hidden beneath them. Gigi was held captive by the sight of it all.

Her gaze eventually fell to the one person it seemed to always be drawn to. Raif stood on the outskirts of the party, deep in conversation with a group of men. He looked older when his eyes didn't hold a teasing glint. Gigi found it hard to pull her attention away, enchanted by the way his mouth curved in a half smile. Her own lips mimicked his.

"Are you avoiding me, Genevieve?"

Gigi started and turned to find Davin standing at the top of the steps. He held a glass of champagne in one hand and his other hand was lost in his pocket. Gigi flushed, her grandmother's suggestion from four days ago ringing in her ears. Swallowing, she fixed a smile onto her face.

"What would ever give you that impression?" she asked, the words sounding forced.

The edge of Davin's mouth twitched, though his eyes took on a critical look.

"Only the fact that you are," he said.

He sauntered over to the railing and rested against it. His gaze fell back to her and she felt trapped beneath it.

"If there is something I have done to offend you," he said, "tell me and I will right it. I only come off boorish, but I don't try to make it a habit of insulting my friends."

"You have done nothing," she said.

Davin took a sip of his drink, his eyes never leaving her. They seemed to read her as easily as one of his precious books.

"If it's nothing I have done, then it must be something someone has said to you in regards to me."

Gigi tensed, giving herself away. Davin gave a self-mocking chuckle.

"I can't begin to imagine the things you have been told about me." He took another lazy sip. "You should know it's all true."

Gigi felt a smile tug at her mouth. There was something about Davin that made her desire to care less about things. Under his easy manner and self-mocking tone, the weight of her grandmother's words lifted. She opened her mouth, her comment hovering around her lips, but closed it.

Davin gestured to her.

"Say what you must say and let's move on."

Gigi fought with the words a second longer then surrendered.

"My grandmother believes you would be a suitable match for me if I was to marry anyone."

Davin barely blinked at this news.

"I see," he said.

"Did you know about this?"

"It was a thought that crossed my mind when I noticed my mother and your grandmother giving each other very pointed looks upon our meeting."

Gigi shifted. "Was that your only thought on it?"

He looked at her, his expression slipping into a frown. "It was, was there something else I should have thought?"