ten

"You're kidding."

Benji shook his head, still trembling from the recent experience. He couldn't wrap his head around it. Diesel had hugged him. Everything he'd heard about the ruthless beast had completely disintegrated in those short moments of intimacy. Diesel had a heart, and however black and rotten it may be, it was still beating.

"I don't want to talk about it." Benji murmured. He knew he was acting pathetic, but the experience had set off a trigger within him. Despite not having to actually do anything too scarring, his entire body shook with the memory of his Father.

Lucky nodded in understanding, taking a loud sip from his juice. "Hey, Steel finally let me move my mattress out of the bathroom." He announced happily, his mood picking up. "I don't have to listen to that dripping tap all night long anymore."

Benji smiled faintly, but his mind was elsewhere. Just as he was about to craft a halfhearted response, a pair of hands were being slammed down onto the table. Diesel towered above them, his stony mismatched eyes watching them menacingly. All of the warmth Benji had experienced back in that storage cupboard had disappeared. He was cold and intimidating once more. The entire table had vibrated with the force of his weight, sending their food jumping a millimetre into the air.

"Hey, next time, maybe you could just say hi instead of-ah!" Lucky winced as Benji's foot collided with his shin beneath the table.

"Who's the smurf?" Diesel scoffed before turning towards Benji, "You got something for me, Pup?"

Benji nodded stiffly and handed over his pudding cup. Diesel smiled sweetly; the fake, artificial smile Benji hated. Not the small, genuine one he'd seen earlier. He then leant forward to ruffle both the boys' hair before nicking Lucky's pudding too and taking off.

"Hey! I was gonna eat that!" Lucky called after him in annoyance, pouting stubbornly. Benji watched Diesel walk away, his vision fogged over, his mind blurry with confusion. Lucky just stared at his friend, his brows furrowing with concern, "Dude, are you like...dissociating or some shit?"

Benji blinked and forced his eyes onto Lucky, "N-No." He breathed out timidly. "I think I'm gonna go."

Lucky grabbed his sleeve roughly before he could make a move to stand up, "Hey, Pup, I don't think you should be alone right now. You're freaking me out a little."

"I'm fine." Benji made another move to get up, but Lucky's firm grip remained.

"No, you're not." He snapped. "Benj, you're always weirdly chirpy and optimistic and now you look like you've just seen someone murder a kitten. What's going on?"

"I just need to lay down." He uttered.

"Is this about Diesel?" He questioned, his hand not leaving Benji's wrist. "It's not like he actually made you do anything, right? He let you off, Pup. That's a good thing."

"You don't understand-"

"Benji-"

"Please." He begged desperately, tears starting to well in his eyes before he could stop them. "Please, Lucky." He whispered. "I need to get out of here."

Lucky's striking grey eyes widened in alarm and he hastily loosened his hold. Before he could even process the situation, Benji had fled, his head bowed in defeat. Lucky watched him go, his lips parted, his eyes wide and concerned. He decided he needed to get out of that stuffy cafeteria too and neglected the rest of his food. After clearing both his and Benji's trays, he exited the canteen with a sullen expression, heading straight back to his dorm room.

His roommate was absent when he arrived, so he occupied himself with a book. He hated reading, but him and Benji would usually hang out in the evenings between supper and lights out. He contemplated going over to his room to check up on him, but thought better of it. Whatever was going on with him, it was clear that he didn't want Lucky's help. Plus, he had Kit, and however scary the boy seemed, he was always there for Benji, like a protective older brother.