thirty seven

Lucky dragged his finger down the edge of the glossy picture, careful not to smudge the ink. He had been sleeping on the bottom bunk, reluctant to let a future roommate dream where Sebastian once did. He laid flat on the bed and leant up to tuck Alex's photo into the bed frame above him.

The pretty boy was staring down at him, smiling brightly, eyes glowing, dimples exposed. A belly button piercing shimmered where the flash of the camera had caught, but his face resembled one of pure childlike innocence. He didn't deserve to die.

It saddened him to know that Sebastian had left his beloved photo of Alex behind. There was no way for Lucky to send it to him; he wasn't given an address. So, all he could do was take care of it for him. And as he stared up at the grinning boy, he smiled ever so softly. "Sorry you had to die." He sighed.

Elias was watching Benji attempting to fix the spine of an old book, frustration painted across his face. "You alright there?" Elias asked, falling into the chair beside him.

Benji sighed in annoyance and dropped the glue, trying to wipe it off of his sticky hands. "I'm fine."

"Sure?"

"No."

Elias rose his brows, "Wanna talk?"

"No."

"Pup-"

"Did you do it?" Benji turned to face him, his eyes hot and menacing. It was the angriest Elias had ever seen him.

"Do what?" He frowned.

"You gave Steel those drugs."

"What?"

"Don't lie, Diesel-"

"We're back to Diesel now? What happened to Elias?"

"For fuck sake, did you give Sebastian Steel heroin? Just tell me the truth." Benji snapped.

"No! What the fuck, Benji?"

"I swear to god if you're lying to me-"

"I'm not lying! What the fuck's wrong with you?"

"Where else would he have gotten it from?"

"Hey, c'mon, just calm down, Benji-"

"No, Diesel! I'm sick of people treating me like shit; like I don't matter! You think I'm just gonna believe whatever you say because that's who I am? Well, I'm not, and if you lie to me, this - us - is over!"

The dim, empty library felt quieter than ever as Elias waited to see if Benji needed to get anything else off of his chest. "You matter to me. I'm not gonna treat you like shit, okay?" He assured him quietly. "And I'm not lying to you. I never dealt to Steel. He was my mate, and it sucks about what happened to him. But that wasn't my fault."

"You have to promise." Benji whispered.

"I promise." Diesel carefully rested his hand over Benji's and laced their fingers together. "I won't lie. Not to you."

"So, who was it?" He asked quietly, glancing up through thick lashes, all his anger fizzled out with Diesel's simple words of reassurance.

"I don't know." He replied honestly. "Someone must have dealt what I'd given them. Could be anyone."

"Are you ever gonna stop?" Benji pried further. "If you say it was someone else, then I believe you. But you were still the supplier, Elias."

Elias sighed heavily and pulled his knees up to his chest, his Dr Martens grazing the seat, "I don't know."

"But-"

"I don't know, Benji." He repeated bluntly. "I know what you'll say but I don't have a choice. I don't do this because it's a hobby."

"Then why? You could get in so much trouble, Eli-"

"I'm doing this for you." He snapped. "For Quinn. For Lucky. I'm doing it for everyone who I need to protect, alright?"

"I-I don't...?"

"No one messes with the dealer. That's just how it is. If I stop, someone else will take my place and I'll no longer be able to protect you guys."

Benji frowned, glancing up into Diesel's pretty eyes. "I thought you were the one everyone feared?"

"Yes, because I deal drugs. Not to mention what would happen if anyone found out that I'm not even guilty. That I don't even deserve my nickname."

"You need to protect yourself, Eli. Please." Benji begged. "Don't worry about us. I don't want you to get in trouble for this shit. There's bound to be an investigation about where Steel got the drugs; you can't get caught up in it."

Elias couldn't help but scoff, "Wake up, Pup. There's not gonna be an investigation - we're sent here to die. Steel's fine, isn't he? As long as it doesn't make Welding look bad, no one cares."

Benji nodded slowly. "You're right. I'm sorry."

"Don't be." Elias instructed firmly.

"Right. You hate that."

Diesel laughed and dragged Benji's chair closer to his, flinging his arm over his shoulder. "You're cute." He grinned, brushing his lips over Benji's cold cheek. The smaller boy tilted his head and twisted around to capture Diesel's lips.

It was only brief; Benji drew back almost instantly, lowering his eyes as his cheeks reddened.

"What's up?" Elias pouted.

"N-Nothing." Benji sighed. "It's not you. I don't know... I guess it just kinda scares me."

"What does?"

"When we kiss. When you touch me. I'm scared you'll want to go further and I'm not sure if I can do that."

Elias rolled his eyes before smiling kindly. "Benji, you know I'd never make you do anything you don't want to do, right?"

"But you want to." He whispered hesitantly.

"I mean...yeah, I guess." Elias shrugged. "I'm just being honest. But if you don't want to, then nothing has to happen. I won't pressure you and I won't leave you if you want to take things slow."

"What if I'm never ready?"

"Then we never have sex." Diesel chuckled. "Simple."

"But won't you...won't you get bored?"

"Of you? Nah. Impossible."