Mr. Fisk Makes An Appointment

As the school year steadily approached, there was plenty to do around the mansion to get ready while students started to trickle in — though on top of that, Kate was facing a huge party at work. The start of the school year was a big boost for book sales, from textbooks to reading material, and as the fall calendar was just getting into full swing, Bishop Publishing had a big bash lined up.

"It's for all the employees at the home office," Kate was telling Kurt as she brushed some nonexistent dust off of his jacket and straightened his lapels. "I'm even bringing K. She's officially on my payroll now, by the way, so people will stop questioning me when I call her my secretary." She flattened his jacket one last time and then stood on her toes to kiss his cheek. "It was a lot of fun last year."

"Well I guess we should go try to have fun then," Kurt agreed, though he didn't look entirely convinced, especially for how much Kate was fussing over him for what she said was a simple party.

She kissed him once more and grinned his way. "You're the one dating the businesswoman, sweetheart. You've had plenty of chances not to be stuck with me and this ... crazy," she said, waving her hand with a teasing grin before she slid her arm through Kurt's. "Come on — we're taking a limo this time. I can't show up like the boss of my own company in a tiny purple bug."

The two of them met K on the way out of the mansion — and she looked just as well-dressed as ever, at least when it came to pretending to be Kate's 'secretary'. She'd chosen a dress that made her ring seem to sparkle that much more, as the blue was the exact same shade as the gemstones around the diamond in the center.

The two of them grinned at each other, and Kate tipped her head K's way. "I like the shoes. New?"

"Always for an event," K replied before she tipped her head at Kurt, who still looked uneasy over the whole thing. "Hey. Relax. Sie können mit mir verstecken."

"He's mad because I told him no inducer," Kate teased, though Kurt didn't look all that amused at her antics.

"Does that mean I'm your 'secretary' tonight too?" K asked with a little smile Kurt's way.

Kurt just raised an eyebrow at her. "Wenn du es sagst."

"Ja, mache ich."

Kate grinned at both of them and pulled Kurt along to their waiting ride, unable to stop smiling at how protective both of them were.

The drive down to Bishop Publishing headquarters wasn't too long, but it did seem that way at times with Kate readjusting Kurt's jacket or collar every once in awhile with a thoughtful look on her face the whole time. What she hadn't told him — and what K knew — was that she was trying the look on for size... the married look. She wanted to see how her business associates would react to her soon-to-be-fiance. The last thing she needed was to find out someone at her company was going to, like, try to kill her future husband or something.

It wouldn't stop her from marrying him. Obviously. But she wanted to know about any problems before they arose so she could deal with them. Kurt already had it hard enough waiting for her to get her act together. She didn't want marriage to come with any other problems for him when he had been so patient with her. She wanted this to be perfect for him.

When they did finally arrive at the party, Kate made it a point to grab hold of Kurt's hand and simply didn't let go the entire time they were making their way inside, so that by the time she made her triumphant entrance, there was no mistaking who her date was.

The beginning of the party was marked by the usual pleasantries, which meant Kate had to talk with the heads of her different departments — marketing, acquisitions, that sort of thing — though after a few rounds of small talk, Kurt was starting to notice that Kate was stealing glances K's way to see whether or not K would shake her head after any given interaction.