Not His Type

It was early morning when the group from Westchester touched down in Tokyo, and as promised, Logan waited until they were there before he called Daken. The call was short, very little was said and as soon as it was over, he led the little ramshackle group to his preferred hotel to settle in for a few hours.

"We're not making the move until tonight, so rest up and study the drawings of the compound," Logan told them, pulling K with him as they all looked around the room.

As the others settled in, Kate immediately started up the coffee and climbed up to sit on the counter while it was brewing. "And then ninjas," she said simply as she started pulling out cups from the cabinet just over her shoulder. .

"Yeah, plenty of ninjas for everyone," Logan promised as the two ferals disappeared into one of the bedrooms in the suite. "Rest. You're going to need it." He gave Kate a pointed look before he slid the door closed. "I mean it. Get some damn sleep."

"I'm going to look over the maps real quick. You gonna get enough sleep, gramps?" she shot back cheerfully. "I hear you need naps at your advanced age."

Logan stopped and called out to her, stepping back into the hall for a moment. "Well that was my plan, as long as she doesn't keep me awake." He chuckled and shook his head, shouting over his shoulder before he closed the door. "You don't get to my advanced age without knowing when to take a damn break now and again. Even if it is forced."

Kate was shaking her head at the closed door before she shot a grin Kurt's way. "So grumpy when they reach that age," she tutted. "Shame."

"He's not wrong," Kurt pointed out, though he was smirking at her.

She sighed and slid off the counter, patting Noh on the shoulder as she passed. "Guess it's naptime then," she said with a little grin. "We should've asked Annie for those little blanket things she gave her kids in Alaska. The ones with pillows already attached."

"Here I thought I was a fuzzy enough pillow for you," Kurt said, sounding disappointed.

Kate laughed and slipped over to kiss him. "Aww, you're my favorite pillow always," she promised him as she took his hand.

A bit before sunset, after they'd all taken time to rest — and to study the layout of the Yashida compound carefully, the group set out to get dinner before the raid. There were enough traps and pitfalls ahead that Logan had talked the bamfs into sticking to each one of them — Daken included, though the bamf that was supposed to help him didn't look all that pleased about it.

But, there was dinner first, and Logan was sure to take them to his favorite little spot, insisting that Noh join them even if it wasn't strictly necessary. Partway through the meal, Daken joined them, and just to irritate them, he slipped into a space that didn't really exist until he'd pushed his way in between Noh and K.

At first, he kept the conversation on the task at hand, though his eye wandered both to his left and right, and on at least two occasions, K reached under the table to push his hand off of her knee.

But the news he brought sounded encouraging at least. He knew where the Samurai was going to be. He knew what the reinforcements were. And Logan knew that Harada really was trying to make a move on Daken's interests, so the chances of this being a double-cross were slim.

"If the drawings we have are accurate, I think I might have a good spot to watch everyone's backs," Kate offered partway through the planning.

"They are perfect, I assure you," Daken said her way as earnestly as he was able.

"Great. Then I just need a clear path here," she said, indicating one of the higher points. "And the angles should give me decent coverage for — well, almost everybody if things go well."