01: The Announcement

Jessica blinked at the woman who stood in front of the check out desk. She'd halted in scanning the woman’s books, too shocked to comprehend the words she had just heard. The woman had announced an unbelievable thing. She proclaimed the dead were walking. She had come in, complaining of how 'the news had stooped so low as to create propaganda'. Jessica had to wonder if that was really true. 

As soon as she regained her composer and scanned the remaining books to check out – she called her mom. To her dismay, the news was announcing something of 'zombie activity' close to town. 

Jessica couldn't understand. She had figured it was a simple joke. It wasn't a big secret that she and a small group of patrons were into the zombie franchise. It would be simple to create a believable joke. But her mother wouldn't have played along. Not unless she was in that kind of mood. And who would have contacted her to 'get in' on the joke? That was completely rolled out as a 'joke'. 

“They're sending in evacuation...” She spoke shakily over the phone.

“Then go.” Jessica replied quickly. “They won't stay forever. Best make it out if you can and as quickly as possible. If this isn't some form of a sick, twisted joke, they wouldn't be sending in evacuation in the first place. Just take Jamie and get out as fast as you can.”

There was a brief conversation as to what Jessica was to do. She was half way across town and still clocked in at work – not that that much mattered anymore. She gave a brief smile – one her mother wouldn't be able to see. 

“Don't worry. The library used to be a bank, remember? Safest place in town. I'll meet up with you guys as soon as I can. Right now, I'm more concerned with the two of you getting out while you have the chance. I'll be fine.”

The conversation ended after that. With the brief but heart felt 'I love you' and 'see you soon', Jessica hung the phone up. She was alone that day. Two employees had headed home and one was on vacation. 

She inhaled deeply, attempting to shake off her nerves. She was afraid. She simply tried to reassure her family so she put on a tough face. In truth she was scared stiff. This announcement had been completely unexpected. The entire situation seemed less then possible. But real or not – something was happening and she had little time to get out. 

All she knew now was she hoped her words to her mother would be true...