03: The Plan

Jessica heaved a sigh, sitting down on the couch. She'd made it home. Her mother and sister were gone. She was glad. If they made it out before things went to hell, as they were now, Jessica didn't have to worry. Now it was a matter of getting herself out. The problem being – she didn't have a plan. Or, not much of one. She could hide out in the library but she wasn't sure how long it could be considered 'safe'. Despite what she told her mother, there was a matter of food and water to get there. She couldn't lug all of that there without a vehicle – which her mother had taken. 

It was looking rather grim for her. 

She leaned back, heaving another heavy sigh. She tried to clear her mind. What she was going to do and how to get out of town. More importantly, how many days and nights would pass? Could she even live or hide out for long? She didn't know how to shoot a gun either and she wasn't 'brave' or 'strong'. She was just her – Jessica, the book smart one. 

Running a hand through her short hair, she attempted to look at the positive side of things. She was smart. She could survive if she put her mind to it. She just had to play her cards right – that was all. And it wasn't like the zombies were in town yet. She still had time. 

So, she devised a plan in her mind. If she had to, she'd bug out as soon as possible. She'd pack supplies and head to the highway on her bike. She knew she didn't have a lot of time but she'd give it a go. If she could make it out, she would. 

Her plan wasn't amazing but it was something. And it was that small something that she needed to keep moving.