04: Gathering Weapons

Jessica rubbed the back of her neck. What could she use to defend herself? She had no knowledge in use of weapons or fire arms. Learning how to fire a gun was an option; if there had been one for her to use. It wasn't like she nor her family were gunslingers. She didn't know what to use. 

She riffled through the garage, looking for some form of weapon. An hour later, she'd only found a crowbar and a shovel. She sighed, crossing her legs. Night was coming onto the town. Not like that stopped the people from trying to leave. 

Ever since the announcement, people were attempting to get out. The quiet town had erupted with noise – honking horns and angry shouts. What was worse was the chaos that followed. People breaking into houses, stealing things that they could find use in or otherwise. She could hear gun shots and screams as well. 

It all unnerved her. Things had hit the fan too quickly. She wasn't prepared for it. No one was. But they shared one thing in common. They all panicked – just like she was inside now. 

She blew out another sigh, running a hand through her hair. She suppressed her tears and tried to calm the panic while she sat in the garage and watched the night fall upon her. 

That night was the longest night she had ever witnessed...