YEAR TWO

THE SECOND YEAR was the first time they met.

Changbin had started walking the previous Summer and now failed to sit still, finding amusement in climbing and jumping over numerous objects. He loved when his sister would run through the garden, his small legs rushing to keep up behind her as shrieks of delight escaped his mouth.

"We have new neighbours Binnie, they have a son make sure to play with him and be nice," his Mother crouched down to his level drawing his attention away from toy cars and to her serious voice.

Changbin had looked up, eyes widened with excitement, "Can I meet him?"

"We're meeting them for dinner, I've invited them over." She smiled warmly at her son, ruffling his raven locks before heading off to the kitchen.

The anticipation spread through the two-year old quickly as he babbled nonsense no one really understood. His sister was almost certain she would have to sellotape him somewhere just to get him still enough to change his shirt.

Suddenly the doorbell rang as he saw his mother hurry in it's direction. Tottering behind her he clutched her leg, peering from behind at the unfamiliar faces eager to catch a glimpse of the little boy.

The first time he heard Felix's name was in an adult conversation he barely understood, unaware of how in the coming years those five letters would constantly run through his mind:

"Hi it's so good to finally meet you properly, this is my son Changbin he's two."

"Wow really?! Felix is only a year younger they'll surely get on well."

And they did. All it took was five minutes before the older had started sharing his toys and finding joy in making the other giggle. When Felix tried to walk Changbin would grab him, small hands intertwined as a guide, laughing as the younger sometimes would plop straight down confusion written all over his tiny features.

"Felix c'mon!"

"Felix! Don't drop again - aha you're so silly!"

"Felix!!"

Changbin cooed at the baby, enjoying how it felt to be slightly older like he was protecting the younger. Every time Felix would fall he would praise him with applause so the younger would get up with an adorable grin plastered over his chubby cheeks.

Felix couldn't talk yet and Changbin's speech was limited but despite that they knew after the first time they'd met—

"We're going to be best friends." Changbin stated proudly.

Felix shrieked, delight written all over him in response, tugging at the older's shirt for balance.

Their parents watched them from the dining room, smiling, knowing that in the days to come the boys would grow closer, loneliness not being an option as long as they had each other.

Finally in the quiet neighbourhood there was something to fill their houses with noise,  people they could confide in and children to look after  — even a workplace that was bearable. The simple lifestyle of settling in was everything the adults could've asked for.

Year two held a great innocence for everyone.

____
notes
I ACTUALLY HAD A GREAT DAY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN AGES AA I'M SO HAPPY. I actually beat my procrastination and studied. I had a great sleep and also managed to write because I finally have my creative flow back :>

Then the mixtape 3 MV came out and y'all I had a test in an hour that so that song was an entire blessing. <33 I love them so much they deserved the rookie award and seeing day6 get an award makes me even happier too :)

I'm gonna wear my contacts for the first time to school tomorrow. I'm excited but nervous because I'm always wearing glasses and my eyes are pretty big when I take them off. This is the first time I've managed to feel great for most the day in a while and I hope you all find a way to smile too <33

- love mel