YEAR SEVEN

THE SEVENTH YEAR held the most beautiful skies.

Changbin would never forget them. The way in which the dawns despite their early rise were vibrant with so many colours, streaked with blushing pinks and ambitious yellows that intertwined to create the giggling gold that shone through his windows.

The nights were even more gorgeous. For in the few hours in which they stayed the stars would come out to gaze at the world below, snuggled tight into the blanket of darkness that enveloped the sky, blinking in delight.

It was all so vivid. The taste of the air when it had chilled — yet not quite enough for him to shiver. The smell of the freshly mown grass that lingered from the morning and the sound of the birds who never seemed to grow tired of each other's presence. The feeling of it all, lifting his heart and pumping his blood, was what would leave him with a yearning for it so many years later.

They were even better with Felix, who's soft breaths and fresh cotton shirts held admiration for it all too. He was the one who would push Changbin to grab his sleeping bag, ordering him to gaze at the stars at what they called an attempt to sleep beneath them.

That mid-august evening, Felix's eyes were bright, almost as bright as the stars themselves.

"Hmph," the younger pouted as they lay parallel to one another on the grass, "The stars aren't so shiny today."

Changbin, who didn't see much a difference, nodded in agreement non the less, "They're still shiny though."

Felix furrowed his eyebrows, "I wonder why they decided to disappear."

The older grinned, remembering a fact he had read earlier, "They don't."

"Of course they do," the smaller boy argued.

"No they don't."

"Yes they do," Felix huffed, lifting himself onto his elbows in order to get a better look at the older, "I never see them during the day."

Changbin only shook his head once more, "They're still there."

All of a sudden Felix laid back down, however this time he was sideways, his back facing the older.

When he didn't reply Changbin decided to speak hesitantly, "F-Felix?"

There was no response.

Now it was the older's turn to lift himself onto his elbows. Squinting in the dark,  he only managed to make out half of Felix's face which seemed to be deeply concentrated on the rose bush five meters away.

Changbin sighed, he had upset him, "It's a true fact though."

Without moving Felix instantly replied, "I know."

"Then why were you ignoring me?"

"Because I don't understand it."

Changbin laid back down, this time sideways and facing Felix.

When he didn't reply the younger hesitantly spoke, "C-changbin?"

The older tapped his shoulder.

The smaller boy instantly rolled over so he was now facing Changbin. The older smiled, Felix looked pretty in the moonlight that turned his hair a shimmery silver, "Let me explain then."

They were so close and Changbin was so excited, Felix smiled immediately, "Okay."

He pondered for a moment before figuring out what he was going to say, "Oh I have a good example!" He lifted his finger and pointed at the younger boy's cheeks, "They're kinda like your freckles."

Felix looked curious, "Really?"

Changbin beamed excitedly, "Yeah, think about it," he lifted his hands over his eyes, "When I cover my eyes, I can't see them, but that doesn't mean they're not there."

A giggle escaped Felix's mouth, the sound warming the older.

"And even if I turn around, " he turned his back to the younger, "They're still there."

Another giggle.

"And even if," Changbin sat up, his hand covering his eyes, "I were to leave you, they'd still be there."

Before he could even register, he felt a pair of hands tug his own away from his eyes and pull him straight back down onto the grass.

Felix had pulled him so close the freckles on his cheeks seemed like an entire universe on his skin, "Now can you see my stars hyung?"

The taller boy nodded, liking that Felix had called them that, "When I'm in the dark I can't see your stars, however its the opposite for them, " Changbin glanced upwards towards the blinking dots above, "Just because its daytime doesn't mean they're not there. They need the dark to shine."

The best part of that night wasn't what Changbin remembered however what he didn't. He didn't recall when it had ended, nor when his eyes had shifted away from Felix's and left him consumed by a deep slumber. He didn't recall when the sky had changed or when the stars had become invisible despite being there. He couldn't recall it at all.

And though they had hoped to stargaze again that Summer they never truly did. Truth be told, they didn't hang out much more that August with Felix's days being spent on a two week trip to the countryside and the older finding himself growing closer to the boys in his grade.

Even when both of them were at home, they were always too tired to meet, convincing themselves they'd hang out tomorrow.

That's why if Changbin could go back in time, he wouldn't go back to that entire summer.

He'd go back to that night, because it was timeless, and that way he wouldn't have to wait for a tomorrow.

____
notes
i'm sorry for not updating this in forever <3
it's currently snowing and i hope we don't have to go to school tomorrow so i can stay in bed writing and watching skz VLIVES