YEAR FIVE

THE FIFTH YEAR was filled with bike rides down the street.

Sun-kissed the two boys chased each other, giggling as the warmth of the Summer spread through their energetic frames. Changbin had learnt how to ride a two wheeler and proudly drove it down the road, Felix struggling to keep up on his tricycle.

"Hyung! You're too fast," the younger panted out upon reaching the older. His cheeks were red and chubby from where the baby fat was still hanging on, sweat glistening as the heat enveloped him. His helmet was lopsided and legs tired of cycling but Felix didn't mind; it was far better than staying isolated inside (the idea cold in itself).

"You're too slow," Changbin responded however his tone was light and joking, "Let me teach you how to ride a two wheeler then."

A sudden wash of nerves overcame the younger. He wasn't sure if he was ready to ride the elder's bike that seemed so much larger and scarier as it beckoned for him to try it.

"Don't worry," Changbin comforted, holding the handles steady as Felix climbed up. "I'll be here to hold you."

The younger carefully placed his feet on the peddles, feeling them move beneath his feet as he barely even pressed them. Changbin's soft breaths could be heard close behind as he gently rolled the bike forward. Slowly, Felix's nerves dissipated; the joy rising on his face in the form of a smile. Naturally, he leaned back into the older's touch and allowed himself to be comforted by his presence.

And then Changbin let go.

Felix continued to pedal but suddenly they seemed so much heavier. His hands shaking as he tried to steady his grip on the rubber handles, panic immediately arising.

Everything tilted quickly, pain shooting through his knee as he fell to the ground. Felix tried to get up but something heavy was taunting him, keeping him from standing.

It was momentary; but Felix was still shaken. Even when the bike had been lifted, he was still unable to move, the sun's glare blinding him. His heart was pounding in his ribcage and blocking him from hearing Changbin's distressed apologies.

The younger was only bought back to reality when he felt warm hands cups his cheeks, urging him to look up. Instead of being caught by direct sunlight he was met with the serious face of Seo Changbin whose eyes were frantically scanning over the injured boy's face for any injuries.

Felix giggled; Changbin was the sun.

A sigh of relief escaped the older as he realised the younger was okay, "Felix I'm sorry, I only meant to let go a tiny bit but you panicked even then! I promise I'll never let go again."

Felix felt the corners of his lips tilt upwards and he nodded, sticking his pinky finger out, "Promise?"

Changbin smiled back even wider, intertwining his small finger with the even smaller boy.

They were unaware of how over the years the meaning of a promise would learn to change. Not because they intentionally tried to break them; but because as the days grew older so would their memories. The truth was that Felix would learn to ride a bike perfectly fine, the cut from his first attempt leaving the faintest scar on his knee. The truth was that Changbin's words would be stolen by the depths of the younger's mind, turning out to be ones he didn't necessarily remember but had still shaped him as a person non the less.

The truth was that sometimes promises weren't broken. People just grew to old to believe they were the only things that mattered.