YEAR THREE

THE THIRD YEAR they were inseparable.

As soon as the weather warmed and the flowers blossomed it was rare to see one without the other. Their days were consumed with play dates and hangouts, the location barely mattering as long as the other was present beside them.

It was the year in which Felix started talking and Changbin started nursery twice a week. Despite the slight schedule that separated them, their time apart only fuelled more conversation every time they met.

"We had so much fun today Lixie, look I even made you this drawing," Changbin beamed calling Felix the nickname he had made.

"Heh I made one for you too Binnie!"

Their drawings were scribbles upon scribbles but no one pointed it out. Their parents would smile with pride as they claimed each drawing was greater than the last, hanging them up on the fridge with the free alphabet magnets from purchased orange cartons.

It was the middle of Summer when Felix's mum took them to the park a few streets away, clutching both their hands in fear that they'd go running due to their excitement.

When they finally got there energy spilled straight out, their small trainers slapping against the ground as they ran towards the playground, Changbin gripping onto Felix so he wouldn't fall.

"Lixie lets go on the slide—"

"I wanna go first!!"

A couple weeks earlier Felix had fallen down the last few stairs when Changbin hadn't held his hand on the way down. He got scolded pretty bad but he knew he deserved it; Felix had been limping slightly ever since

"I-i-m s-sorry," Changbin had hiccuped out between sobs.

"Its okay Binnie," Felix patted him on the head. "It's not that bad see," he ran to tackle the older in a cuddle that immediately sent a smile to his face.

So this time, Changbin made sure to hold on to Felix and help him carefully with everything. When they went on the slide Changbin sat right behind him as they squealed of amusement on the way down — making sure the younger's landing was safe and sound.

It continued like this, as the sun shone down on their small backs. Even though Felix was being a little slow, Changbin didn't mind — they were having fun.

At one point Changbin was running for a few seconds before he realised Felix wasn't behind him. At first he thought the younger was just being held back by his injury but when he turned around his gut immediately dropped as he saw the two year old being watched by a group of boys — their whispers not even disguised to be quiet.

"Look at his leg," one of them giggled, tapping Felix's shoulder so the confused two year old turned around. Immediately their laughter began once again as they watched the infant almost trip.

"—It's like an old mans."

"I know right!"

"Hey kid— yeah you — what's wrong your leg?"

Felix looked down, shy from all the attention, "I-I hurt it."

The older boys kept firing questions and it was clear the young boy was getting uncomfortable; his eyes gleaming as his lip began to shiver.

"Aww he's a crybaby too..."

Felix's mother was busy chatting with the other parents having checked back a moment ago and seen the boys were playing fine. So being three and thinking he was far taller than his actual height, Changbin stepped directly in front of the boys, holding Felix's hand who he kept protectively behind his back.

"He said he hurt it so leave us alone."

The boy directly in front of scowled, disliking that his jokes weren't being taken light hearted, "But he looks like an old man."

Changbin's cheeks were turning red in anger, "You don't look any better so leave him alone!"

The older scowled once more, before huffing off and storming towards the swings to which his friends followed his lead. Concerned Changbin turned to Felix, crouching down and cupping his dampened cheeks.

"Lixie please don't cry," Changbin felt his own eyes get teary at the other's sadness.

"H-hyung t-they were a-asking a-and I d-didn't w-want to t-talk a-about i-it." Felix choked out between sobs.

"But I scared them away," Changbin stated proudly, "No one can hurt you as long as I'm here."

"Y-you're right Binnie."

Upon seeing the two crouched down, Felix's mother rushed towards them scooping her little boy in her arms as Changbin proudly told her what he done. The boys happiness' was  instantly restored at the mention of ice cream their little minds so easily distracted from all the negatively.

Walking through the park, ice cream sticking to their skin, they couldn't have been happier that day.

By the time they left the park the older boys had already been forgotten about.