dreadful etiquette

Apologies were brief but fair. I only got one punch thrown. Hardy stopped them. I'm glad. Lydell punches hard.

I was reading Carrie after it all. I had on my pink pajama shorts and black t-shirt and my hair was drying in a side braid with a pink scrunchie. There was a crash outside my window and I ran to it. Suddenly, Hardy's face was right in front of me. I let out a small yelp and fell back. I was thankful Dad and Daddy were out for the night so they didn't hear me.

"Dreadful ettiquette, I apolgize," he said, imitating JD from Heathers.

"Jesus, Hardy, you just about gave me a heart attack," I laughed from my position on the floor.

"Please don't die," he said as he climbed through. 

Hardy pulled me off the floor. I gave him a small smile and sat down on my bed.

"Carrie, huh?" he questioned as he picked up the copy.

This copy was my own. It was annotated and torn and dog eared, but it was mine. I had notes scribbled in all color ink, from thoughts to theories. It was almost like my diary, in a way.

"Give that back," I said hastily, snatching it away.

He sat down next to me on the bed. At first, there was silence. I played with my hands in my lap, looking at my french tip nails I had done.

"So, do you actually like that Soc boy?" Hardy asked.

I sighed and leaned back. Hardy handed me a cigarette from his pocket and I took a lighter from my nightstand and lit it.

"Not at fucking all. He's a sexist pervert and creep," I groaned, rumbing my temples, and taking a drag.

Hardy took a long drag from his own cigarette and looked me in the eyes.

"I worry about you. You get so headstrong over things people take from you," he said.

"You're not my parent! You're only like a year older than me!" I spat.

"Birdie, you're one my best friends. It hurts to see you try and take all this responsibility yourself. Let any of us help."

I layed back against the wall. He was right. Hardy was usually right. 

"I just don't know how," I mumbled.

"We'll figure out ways," Hardy said.

I wrapped my arms around him. His oversized black trench coat felt soft against my cheek. Within minutes, I fell asleep on his shoulder.