t w e n t y - t h r e e

Lily and I stepped out of the car. We crossed the street over to the church. It is only during Sundays that this street is packed. But on other days, it seems like a good place to take a walk. There are still a few people arriving and gathering at the entrance of the church. I think we arrived a little too early.

When we were about to reach the door a middle aged couple greeted Lily. They're the couple from next door. They used to have this hot daughter who was quite older than me but I think she moved away fro her job.

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Davis." Lily greeted them back politely.

"Where's your mother?" Mrs. Davis asked.

"Oh she has this thing out of town. She'll be back tomorrow morning." She said. "And oh... this is my brother, Harry." She looked back at me. It was kind of awkward because I didn't know what to say or how to greet these older people so I just gave them a nod.

"Hello Harry." The woman turned to me. "I'm not sure if we've ever met but we live right next door." We've never really personally met but I think they see me when I smoke outside or whenever I pass by.

"It's nice to meet you Mrs. Davis." I gave her a slight smile.

"You too Harry. This is my husband, George." She gestured to the mad behind her. "It's nice to see you around here with your sister. You should attend more often."

"Uhm... I will try..." So not. Well maybe once in a while... if Lily wants me to.

We heard a bell ring and people started going in and finding their seats.

"We should go in. You guys can sit with us." Mrs. Davis put her arm around Lily's shoulders guiding her to their seat at the near front. This is horrible. This is what I didn't want to happen in the first place.

The woman ushered Lily and I to our seats and she and her husband next to us. Everybody settled and the Mass began. I wasn't sure what the priest was saying because I didn't pay attention. I roamed my eyes around and observed the people around me. Most people I see are old couple who probably are retired and left by their children for work while others are a whole family.

After what felt like two hours of singing and kneeling the Mass was done and the people clapped. What do they clap for at the end of a Mass? Everybody started to slowly exit the church and I could hear all this happy chatter around me. This is why most restaurants and malls are packed during Sundays. Because people want to have fun after being bored and hungry during the Mass.

"Are you okay?" I suddenly felt Lily's hand on my arm. I looked down to her and just smiled and nodded.

Once we were outside the church and most people are still standing around and talking, Mrs. Davis and her husband are still hanging around us.

"If you guys need anything while Eva's not around just call my house or knock on my door okay?" Mrs. Davis said.

"Of course." Lily chirped happily.

Then Mrs. Davis was looking back and forth between Lily and I. I'm not sure what she's thinking about though. I'm not really sure how many people my mom's friends with in this town so I don't know for sure who's aware that Lily and I are stepbrothers and sisters or that Lily's adopted. Almost two years in this place and I haven't talked to anyone except Liam and his family.

Mr. and Mrs. Davis finally told us they have to go grocery shopping and had to go. I was really thankful for that. I couldn't take anymore of the awkwardness. I just hope we could get into the car without anybody else noticing us.

"Why was she looking at us like that?" Maybe Lily knows.

"I don't know. Maybe because it's the first time she got to know you?" She guessed.

"Does she know about us?"

"Yes. She knows I'm adopted... she's mom's closest friend around here. But most people doesn't know that. They just know that mom and dad divorced and that you had to live with us."

"They don't have to know everything... nosey people are annoying."

"I know. That's why nobody asks." She said.

Just before we get into a car, someone called Lily's name. I turned around and saw that it was an old lady.

Great! Another interruption...

//

//

//

Comment please :)) if anybody tells me what they think of the story so far I'll post the next chapter tonight :)

Please be patient with the story :) I'm trying to take my time with the development :))