Kurt Wagner- Smoke and Mirrors

Requested: @All_In_Due_Time
Mutation: Mirror Travel
Warning: Dangerously cheesy fluff OOF

That was it. The final straw. "Shut up!" ____ finally shouted, quickly walking out of the room filled with teasing voices. The students quieted at the sudden outburst from the girl, entirely shocked she'd done so. Her eyes were rimmed with glassy tears and she ran out of the room with the panic of what she'd just done. Kurt would be able to help.

She soon found herself in front of Kurt Wagner's door, knocking miserably. After that little outburst she needed someone to talk to. When the blue boy opened his door he immediately asked what was wrong, letting her in. She sniffed softly, avoiding the other's gaze though she knew it impossible. "Vhat happened?" the familiar voice asked and she turned around, shrugging miserably, making a small comment about how rude kids were. "Oh..." he paused a moment. "I apologize for zeir behavior. Zey were just being rude." The boy pulled her into a gentle embrace in which they stayed for a somewhat unnecessarily prolonged period of time.

***

The entire week had been horrible. Today in particular had just topped it all off. Of course, she'd had to hear from her family this morning, who'd officially signed the papers so she lived at the school. They didn't want some 'Mutant Freak' like her. Especially with her mutation? Forget it. Nonetheless, they still found her useful for certain things, things like torment. They seemed to get a kick out of telling lies about her to her fellow classmates the few times they'd visited.

Granted, the powers came in handy often. To get away from others, namely. There was a specific room where she'd accidentally ported to once; no one could get in unless they were to teleport there, and she only knew of one person who could get there, Kurt Wagner, the only one that noticed her frustration before. He was this absolutely /amazing/ blue boy that had gotten quite close to her over the months she'd been here.

Not that it mattered. He wouldn't care enough to look for her, much less find her in her hideout. She was just relieved to be seeing her only connection to the outside world today. Her only absolutely and positively human friend. She made her way out of the school after class, still upset over the days events. It would all be okay soon, she told herself.

The familiar shop she'd always meet Devin in soon enough entered her field of vision, and she smiled, a small skip in her step appearing as the stress of the week seemed to melt off. How exciting it was that finally she could be open to someone about how the school made her feel.

The elated feeling immediately wilted when Devin was seen just outside the small shop, looking to be deep in thought. When he saw her he only looked more defeated, and her worry grew. "Hey, Dev... What's up?" she asked gently.

He sent a troubled look her way and paused before answering. "Hey, ____... We need to talk..."

Oh no... Those weren't good words. "About...? What's wrong?"

He seemed to have trouble continuing. "We can't... We can't see each other anymore."

"Why?"

"I just think it would be better to go our separate ways, you being a-" he stopped himself, looking down ashamedly.

"A mutant," she finished with a cynical laugh. "And what is that supposed to mean?" she demanded, worry transforming into anger.

"Nothing, I just..." he trailed off, clearly not wanting to elaborate on the thought.

A blank expression appeared on her face, and she shook her head disbelievingly. "Of all the people to hear this from, out of everyone, it had to be you." ____ took a shaky breath and sighed, turning and walking away all too quickly. She wouldn't cry in front of him, he wasn't worth it if it mattered that she was a freak.

She soon found herself in the very place she was thinking of, weakly crawling into the tiny area. It couldn't be more than ten feet all around, another perk; she could think in here.

A few minutes of silence passed before ____ was able to calm down, and by the time she did, it was far too quiet. Quietly humming to herself, her eyes still filled with tears, she pulled her knees to her chest, hair falling in her face.

***

Kurt's POV

I'm finally home! God, it's been so long since I was home. Granted, it's only been a week, but as mein mutti would say, 'Kurt! Ze hours you vere gone seemed like eternity!'

I expected a greeting from ____ when I got home, but instead I was told the news I'd missed from a solemn Hank. Apparently ____ had just lost her only friend outside the school, and now she was gone. Disappeared somewhere, they said. No one knew where she was, and now I had to think... Where could she be?

Bamf.

Bamf.

Bamf.

Bamf.

Bamf.

Bamf.

When I couldn't find her, I thought a moment more. Realization finally hit, and I mentally slapped myself. I should have know she would be in our place! Another 'bamf' followed before I saw her.

She was curled into the corner of the rather small area, sobs racking her body. At first I was speechless, but questions quickly flooded my mind, each competing for importance. "_____...?" I asked quietly, unsure what to ask first. The soft whimpers fell silent, and I could tell she wouldn't answer immediately. "Hey... I just wanted to check on you... See how you were doing? I heard about your friend..."

Finally two pretty eyes emerged from her arms, looking up at me with a sniff. They were red and a little swollen, but it was of no matter when I slid to sit next to her. Finally she opened her mouth to speak, choking back a sob as she did so, going over the events of the day a million miles an hour, breaking down again when she got to the part of her friend. I listened attentively, wanting to be there for her in any way possible. "It's like all I can do is mess up...!" she finished with a frustrated groan, face buried in her hands.

I frowned deeply. That wasn't right at all. "Of course zat isn't true!" I insisted, holding out a hand for her to take. "So you made a couple mistakes, big deal. I still zink you are an amazing person..." I paused when she didn't answer. "As for your friend... I know it's hard to lose people. But it's not your fault you are vhat you are."

She listened with a quiet shudder. "No... But I'm the problem. I have been. For a long time apparently." She sniffed, and I could see the sadness there, the guilt. It broke my heart a little to witness it. "Not just today. Ever since my family left, and now my best friend is leaving too."

I huffed. "You are not ze problem. If they can't love you for who you are zen they are not worth it." I frowned, pulling her into my arms gently, not having realized that she'd accepted my offered touch.

She melted in my arms, and we finally fell silent. Her uneven breathing slowed gradually, and she managed to relax. I stayed silent, tired from the day but content to be with her. ____ has always managed to brighten my day, even if just a little.

There was a rather long window of comfortable silence before she looked up to me, beautiful (e/c) eyes watching a moment. "Kurt...?" She murmured softly, to which I hummed, tilting my head as I awaited the next part.

"Don't leave me. Please..."

My heart sped up a bit at that. "Never."