After closing

Relationship status: friends/colleagues
:::18.54

Andy's POV.
We were just finishing up closing up the coffee shop on Friday, just us as it usually was on Fridays. We had a lot of fun as we typically do, complaining loudly about the new espresso machines and the elaborate cleaning ritual. I mean why you really have to clean it in such an annoying way? It was like the people who made it, did all of it to be annoying.

Having some normality was great. It felt like my life had been turned upside down ever since Miller broke it off. Leaving me, alone, in our small apartment; wishing he was still there.

We had cleaned the espresso machines, coffee machines and washed everyt single slate and cup. All the food was put away, and the ice cream was packed away neatly. Both of us were tired and sweaty - the later was due to having to carry the heavy furniture inside - after stressing through closing - which was the only way to do it in less than an hour. We had checked out, and now I was just waiting for him to change out of the work attire as I had already had.

I stepped outside wanting to get some fresh air and cool off. I saw a girl with long blond hair and green eyes standing outside the side door. She looked up from her phone looking hopeful. When she saw me her smile faded slightly but stayed on her face.

"Hi, I'm Izzy! You work with Rye, don't you?" She said extending her brightly red manicured nails hand.

"Yeah, I'm Andy. Nice to meet you," I didn't want to be rude and ask what she was doing here. But I had an uneasy feeling that she was his girlfriend. I hoped she wasn't, not like I stood a chance anyway.

"He should be our any second, he's just getting changed," I say politely, not wanting us to fall into awkward silence. Because when you start falling, there is no way back to the surface.

"Okay, how was your day at work?" She asks I'm guessing her motive of talking was the same as mine.

"It was good, it's always fun working with Rye. And we just understand each other making closing quite smooth." She smiles at me nodding. "What do you do?"

"I'm actually studying, I work part-time, however, in a library. It's nice, the people are interesting," Izzy says.

And we almost fall into that dreaded awkward silence before the door opens behind me. I turn around looking at Rye exiting the coffee shop's side door. After he turns off the lights, he looked over at me before she catches his eyes

"Hey, Izzy!" He smiles over at her, which she quickly returns.

"You have the key?" I answer by holding it up, dangling off my finger, he knew I had it obviously but was still asking out of habit.

He turned again, quickly pressing the keys on the number pad inside entering the code to activate the alarm. Then making sure the door would close properly. He then took the keys from my outstretched hand, knowing it would be there as always. He leaned on the door, pushing his full body weight on it, as this was the only way to actually get it to close. He handed the keys back to me because I was the one opening tomorrow morning.

"Are you going to be alright now Fovvs? I know your break up was hard," he said as he grabbed Izzy's hand. I felt a sting of jealousy in my chest, but I tried to ignore it. It wasn't all because of ixxy but also because of Miller; the pain of loneliness extra intense. We started walking out to check that the front door was locked and see if everything was done.

"Oh, poor you Andy, breakups suck," she said from the other side of Rye.

"I think so, it was nice having some normality. I guess life just turns upside down when something like this happens. I don't know, I thought we had something special. Guess he didn't think so." I realised I might have said too much, but I considered Rye, a friend. "Sorry for oversharing."

"Don't worry about it, I'll always be here for you," Rye said giving me a one-armed hug.

I felt him being pulled away, it didn't seem like he was the one moving away, however, more like some was pulling him away quickly.

"Rye! Didn't you hear him! He said 'he', he's gay?!" Izzy inquired. Wow, and I thought she was decent; but I had come out to Rye, and he had seemed fine with it, it hadn't changed our relationship in any way.

"Izzy, what are you talking about. Yeah, he's gay so what?" Rye said letting go of her hand stopping. He went to put his hand on my shoulder, perhaps to apologise or something, but he was again ripped away.

"EW! Don't touch him!" She exclaimed like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Urgh...Why not?" He asks her.

"He might infect you!!"(LMAO) I snorted, and I heard giggling Rye as well, this wasn't the moment to laugh; however, this was the funniest homophobic thing I've ever heard - and that's saying something. "I read that exposure to fags increases the chance of being turned." She sounded so urgent and severe, it was funny.

"What? No," Rye said, he was probably too shocked at her stupidity to do anything else.

"Rye you can't be friends with him," Izzy tried to reach for him, and he backed away.

"I can and I will, you know what. This," Rye points between the two of them, "is over, I will not be with someone who is homophobic." Okay wow... "let's go, Andy!"

He grabbed my hand and continued walking before she could say anything. I was shocked that anyone would do something like that for me. My life had been filled with everyone leaving because of one reason or another, mostly because of the rainbow.

"Rye..." I didn't know what to say. "You didn't have to do that." He looked over at me for the first time in a while, his expression softened when his eyes met mine.

"Of course I did, she was being an asrehole,. I will not be with someone who is homophobic," Ryan answered. "Do you want to eat with me? That's where we were heading, to a restaurant and since it's already booked..."

"Uh...sure, but you don't have to, you've already been so kind-"

"Ssshhh, it's what any decent human would have done, or at least done something. C'mon it'll be fun," he broke me off.

"Thank you, I can't have many decent humans before." He smiled softly over at me.

"What about your family?" Oh...we're about to have that chat.

"I guess I should tell you after what you just did for me. Eehhh, I'm sorry I don't talk about it much." I briefly pause catching my breath after being pulled away from Izzy at a rather quick tempo. "Well, dad wasn't around much. And when he was, the bottle and the belt was his only concern, but he's six feet under now, so no reason to worry. And Mum... well let's just say she didn't like my true colours coming out too much. I was an only child, probably a mistake. Other than that... not much contact with the rest of my family." He looked over at me again with a sad look that had come over his face while I chuckled politely. I had accepted my history a long time ago.

I had hardly told anyone this, one of them being Miller but he left and here Rye was.

"I'm so sorry, I had no idea." He changed his grip on my hand and instead laced his fingers with mine squeezing them gently.

"Don't worry, I accepted it a long time ago. So no one besides a couple of close friends."

We had arrived at the front door of a restaurant, only 5 minutes away from work or so, so I had no clue why I hadn't been here before. He pulled me into a hug, the brunets sweetnesses made me smile. After a moment or two, we made our way inside.

:::

Okay, so not like the last couple but I'm working on a chapter I'm so excited about. Hopefully, it will be out soon!

Lots of love,

❤️