Anti Everything

He really was, his reputation preceded him. Along with names like anti-boy, a name that stuck in middle school where that was the funniest thing. Whatever most people did or liked, Andy didn't and vice versa. He would show up in the least branded clothes he could find, usually dark or black jeans and a plain dark hoodie. He hated the way they all looked the same, at least in his eyes. There was just one who stood out.

Andy hated who had caught his eye. Absolutely loathed himself for it, but he couldn't do anything about it. The boy with a smile like the Moon, which Andy significantly preferred over the Sun. It was too bright to look at, Rye was almost that just softer and more. Only more.

Andy knew there was no point, he had fallen for one of the most popular boys at school. Who may not have the best grades but at least the best friends. Andy didn't, he had a couple of friends, quite loosely labelled but at least his excellent marks were sure to get him to any school he wanted.

The blond had spoken to Rye a few times, very brief but it was enough to catch his attention. It had been for class, but nonetheless. Unlike his friends(who Andy had worked with as well), Rye hadn't left him immediately to talk to his friends but discussed with the older boy. He sounded almost interested in all the things he was saying about space.

Andy loved space, one of the very few things he was interested in, he began researching more when his teacher spoke about it briefly in class four years ago, and he saw how disinterested everyone else was. That had sparked his interest. He stayed up late every night that week. Learning about stars and how they were born in nebulas far, far away. The moon had also interested him, now he mostly thought of Rye when he saw it.

The way the younger boy arrived every morning was unusual, the only one awake. Andy definitely wasn't. He was usually not like the crowd, not that he tried to be different; Andy just couldn't focus on such nonsense, but he could not with mornings. Just couldn't. Rye, however, was in his element.

So imagine Andy's surprise when he saw the other boy previously mentioned walking alone in the park late one evening. Maybe not evening, more like midnight. Andy knew because he had been observing the Moon, and seeing the boy whom he thought of as the representative here on Earth.

"Hey, Andy," coming closer to the bench his voice carried softly over to the blond in question, who was looking down from the night sky to look at Rye. Rye was wearing a pair of blue jeans and a light hoodie, which Andy could only barely make out from the soft light shining down on them from the lamp-post.

"Hey," it was all he could say as a light blush rose on his checks, and he hated the effect had on him.

"Whatcha looking at?" Sitting down somewhat close Andy thought, not that he was complaining.

"Watching the moon," Andy replied, he didn't care to pretend to be doing anything else because why should he care. Well not usually, but now he was questioning this as he did, in fact, care what Rye thought of him. The only one besides his mother whose opinion mattered to him. "You?"

"Well I was walking away from my troubles, now I was gonna watch the moon with you if you don't mind?"

"No go ahead," Andy desperately wanted to know what was troubling his crush. "Do you want to talk about your problems?"

"Nah, I'll be fine. I'm probably just overreacting anyway," waving his hand dismissively he turned his gaze to the sky. Eying the half moon.

"If you don't think so trust yourself. People don't get to tell you how you feel, kay?" He looked at the older boy, in the same way, Andy had earlier; looking down from the dark clear sky with sight surprise in his eyes. "I mean, I would know people are always telling me how I feel. That I shouldn't be so negative all the time."

"Thank you," his weak smile made the other boy's breath even more unsteady. "You know I don't get why people say that shit about you, you are great."

Usually, this would have felt like a backhanded compliment to Andy, he did get a lot of those. But not in the soft tone Rye spoke with him. Yet again a light pink spread on Andy's checks, which he was well aware of hoping the dim light would make sure this wasn't noticeable. Still, he turned towards the moon again hoping to ensure this wouldn't be noticed along with the pounding of his heart.

"Thank you," he could barely get the words out. "Are you sure you don't want to talk about it?"

Yet again Rye shook his head, little did Andy know it was because just sitting there with Andy was loosening the knot in Rye's stomach. Making him a bit more like his usual cheerful self.

He hated this, along with most other things. He just hated feeling vulnerable and...

Wait.

Did he? No. He didn't feel as he usually did, the usually introverted boy didn't feel forced into speaking, which generally was the only reason he did, but there was. Thinking deeper, Andy couldn't find a reason to hate this. Rye was sweet, and Andy really liked him, like a lot. Why does it have to be so confusing?

"So do you wanna do something?" The voice cutting through the silence was abrupt as if he had forced himself to speak.

"Do what?" Andy asked - he realised though, that he would do almost anything with the brunet. The energy Rye gave off was just too irresistible, still knowing what wouldn't hurt.

"Let's see what we find, yeah?" Rye stood holding out a hand to Andy who was looking at it like he never had seen a hand before - of course he had, just never Rye's like this. Well, that obvious too.

"Okay," he grabbed it standing up expecting Rye to let go, to his great joy(which he would never admit) and surprise the younger didn't.

Andy found himself not being too opposed this morning. Because it would soon be morning and life would be annoying again, or maybe not. Maybe something was changing, perhaps it already had.

:::

Thank you for reading this os, which is loosely based on the song above. I really hope you enjoyed it! I kinda want to make a part two, so I might try. Anyone interested?

Happy Friday!

Jo xx