Chapter Eight

"That's not Deucalion?" Cuyber stood over the lifeless body. "I'd remember Deucalions face anywhere." 

"It's not your Deucalion." Scott answered. He was kneeling by the alphas grave. They had decided to bury him in the ground near his old territory. Before the whole hunter blinding thing. "He was once good. He lost his way for a while but when his sight was returned and he saw what he did to everyone he really turned around." 

"So what you're saying is that there are two Deucalions?" Malia asked.

"His brother." Lydia spoke calmly. "He said his brother was coming. That he was in Beacon Hills and that we should run."

"What's one wolf against all of us?"  Jackson stood with his arms crossed. Cuyber was across the grave from him. They hadn't talked since the previous night.

"That's not the thing that bit me." Lia added. She had been asked to come see if she could identify whether or not this was the right Deucalion.

"No one goes anywhere alone." Scott said, standing up. "Pairs at least. I'd even feel better with three per group. We don't know what this guys capable of. He could have stolen more than just the power of the wolves he turned in Ravenmont." 

"No argument there." Stiles wiped his forehead.  "But what now?"

"I need to talk to Amory. She wanted to discuss something with me." Scott sighed.

———

"What do you mean you're leaving Beacon Hills?" Scott asked, befuddled by Amorys announcement.

"I'm leaving. I'm taking Luke's body and I'm gonna stay on the road. That way it'll be harder for anyone to track me."

"What about Cuyber?" Scott asked. "You're the last standing Lunarni Tukk and he's the last protector?"

"He's agreed to come with me." Amory sighed. "We leave in an hour.  I'm sorry for what you've all been through."

———

The whole pack took turns hugging Amory and Cuyber, wishing them the best. Derek, Cora, and Erika were there as well but there goodbye seemed less cement. They'd always be back.

Everyone had begun to disperse and head to their places when Jackson finally approached Cuyber.

"Did you know?" Jackson asked. His eyes glazed and his face red.

Cuybers eyes welled up. He took a deep breath before taking Jackson's hands in his own.

"I found out last night. After you went inside. I wanted to tell you but I didn't know how. I'm sorry Jackson. I'm sorry for making that stupid comment. It's just hard not being with the person.... the person I love."

Jackson smiled. "Let me come with you."  He smiled. "We can be together.  We can protect Amory and Luke's body better if it's all of us." Tears began to run down his face. "Please. Cuyber please, I love you."

"I love you too." Cuyber began to sob. "And that's why you need to forget about me. You need to live your life. Find someone you can really be with. Guy or girl. I've realized that we may have shared something amazing and special but living on the run isn't the life you were meant to have."  Cuyber caressed Jackson face, wiping away a tear. "You will find love in the most amazing and unexpected place. Just please. Be safe." He took Jackson's lips in his own.

The kiss seemed to last a lifetime and an instant at the same time. When Jackson opened his eyes there was a small gust of wind and Cuyber was gone. So were Amory and the SUV.