Family Bonding

And here is Chapter 2 everyone! Thank you for the reads and votes, every little bit counts! I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoy writing it for you :)

*****************************************************************

Nothing could pull me down from the high I was feeling. Not when Pam yelled at me for making a mess, not when I had to stay after closing to scrub down the whole place, not even when I ruined my nails thanks to the bleach. Asher's number was now in my phone, so I could call him up any time I pleased. Once again, my magnificent brain and physical prowess served me well. He caved so easily. God, I even impressed myself sometimes.

"I'm home!" I sang as I danced through the doorway, my keys twirling on my index finger. "Anyone want to hear how splendid my day went?"

"Oh, Lane, good! Glad you're home." Maisy leaned back so her hair cascaded down the back of the sofa. Not a strand was out of place thanks to that headband that she swore to high heavens gave her good luck. She wore that thing to every test and volleyball game. She never failed. "Want to grab us some snacks?"

I glanced over and saw her study group aficionadas that consisted of her boyfriend Derek, her best friend Juliet, and a couple of others that I honestly didn't care to remember. I watched as they were laughing about something nerdy, probably some dumb pun, before a trash bag appeared in front of me.

Maisy wiggled the bag. "Please?"

I rolled my eyes as I crossed my arms. "Why can't you take it?"

She held up her notebook and tapped it with her pencil. "Studying. Plus, you're still dressed in your uniform." She plugged her nose. "Yeesh, I can never get used to that greasy smell."

I wanted to hug her to smear every bit of grease onto her but that would mean actually having physical contact with her. I would rather deal with the trash.

"I thought older siblings were supposed to be responsible," I murmured as I took the bag by the straps.

"Did I not just say that I was studying? Plus, I thought youngsters were supposed to help the elderly." She turned back to her friends. "Make sure to grab the sour cream and onion chips, 'kay? Thanks!"

I made a face behind her back and caught Juliet smirking. She mouthed a 'thank you' before going back into whatever subject was tormenting them. At least Maisy's friends weren't as bad as her.

I headed into the kitchen and threw the bag into our bin. I spotted my mom and Toby sitting at the table, building something out of popsicle sticks. I glanced over at the clock. It was already eleven at night.

"Hey Mom," I said as I hugged her over her shoulders.

She jumped. Popsicles flung up in the air and rained down on the tiled floor. She put her head in her hands. "Geez, Delaney. You nearly gave me a heart attack."

"We'll never finish it then," Toby whined.

I stared at the mess of glue. "What is it?"

"A bridge." He grinned at me.

Mom shook her head. "It's supposed to be. Why the hell would they give a project already when school just started back up again?" She glanced over at the clock and let out an aggravated sigh. "Toby, why don't you work on these things earlier? It's already eleven!"

He shrugged. "Guess it didn't occur to me." He picked up another bag of popsicles sticks and ripped it open, sending a new wave of popsicles everywhere. "Don't forget Mom, we need to make it sturdy enough so it will take a good amount of tension."