Wild Geezer Chase

Welcome back everyone! Thank you again for following with me and I hope you guys are enjoying it! Onto the chapter!

************************************************************

Grandpa looked over his lenses at me. "And you said your father agreed to letting you in this?"

I bobbed my head. "I was surprised too. But he said it was time to put the past in the past and let me live my dreams the way I wanted to."

He gave me a doubting face.

I shrugged. "Okay, he didn't say a word to me and waved me off. But, it's not like he said no," I lied through my smile. "I don't want him to change his mind, so I thought it would be better if you could sign the permission slip."

Grandpa took a sip of his beer. "Uh-huh..."

I squeezed my eyes shut as I clasped my hands in front of myself. "And I would love it if you could teach me and my partner some of your magic tricks? Please, please, please!"

I cracked open an eye to see his rubbing his forehead. "I don't know, Delaney."

I got down on my knees. "Please? I even got Dad to agree and now you don't want to pass down your knowledge? You're so wise and have a lot of experience."

He shook his head. "Don't even try it Delaney. Who do you think passed on the 'kiss ass' gene?"

I slumped down to the carpet. "You're really not going to help?"

He took another sip of his beer and turned on the TV. He was done for the day.

No. I did not tackle a stranger for nothing. I did not brag to my friends and declare to everyone that I was going to make it for nothing. I may have declared it in my head, but that was as good as saying it out loud.

I picked myself up and went upstairs. I was not going to lose to a drunken old man. I pulled out my phone and dialed Asher's number.

After a few rings, he picked up.

"Well, well, if this isn't a nice surprise. Are you one of those people that prefer talking than texting?" he asked.

I didn't have time for his chit-chat. "Shut up. I'm in a determined mood right now. I thought you told me earlier today that you were heading over here after I got off?"

"Hmm, did I?"

"Get over here!"

"Ooh, I like authoritative women."

"Asher!"

"Fine, fine," his charm immediately left his voice. "Geez, I don't know if I want to be around someone who may potentially kill me if they're like this."

I gripped the phone tighter, imagining it was his neck. "If you don't shut up, I can guarantee that it won't just be potentially."

"You make it so hard to like you." He sighed. "I'm on the bus right now. I'm almost there. I better get a bonus for putting up with this harassment."

"Bye." I pressed the end button and began to type the name Venancio Mendoza into my phone. My grandpa may not want to teach me, but perhaps if I get his old rival from the good ol' days, it could spark good memories. It was worth the try.

Suddenly, my phone went black and my grandmother's contact information popped up. I hesitantly answered.

"Hello?"

"Hi Laney. I was trying to get ahold of your father, but you know how easy that is," she said. "I wanted to make sure you know about my appointment."