3

I woke up, sighing softly and realizing I was in a hospital bed. I looked down at my arm and saw an IV in my hand and I looked around the room. It was a sort-of-grey paint the covered the walls with white trim, a few lights here and there that were dim. I sat up and groaned, looking at the bed beneath me. I felt it; liquid. A water bed? I didn't think they had those in hospitals, aren't they like, bad for your back? I sighed and licked my lips, taking the IV out and making my way to the door when a hand grabbed me.

"I have strict orders to keep you here." A woman said.

"Who's orders?" I asked.

"Mine and Director Fury's."

I looked over and saw Natasha holding my arm and leading me back to the bed. She put the IV back in and I sighed.

"So, what is all this about?" I asked, "Am I somehow attached to the explosion? You guys crack another deal with Hydra about me?"

"No, none of that. It's actually a possibility for you to join our team. Director Fury should be here in a moment." She said.

I grumbled and then got up, taking the IV bag with me.

"Where are you going?" She asked.

"Bathroom. I have a constant supply of liquid flowing through my body." I said like it was obvious.

She nodded and I went into the bathroom, did my business, washed my hands and then walked out. I was greeted with Director Fury.

"Ma'am." He said.

"Director." I replied.

"I'm sure Miss Romanoff has filled you in on my proposal."

"An engagement, Director? At least buy me dinner first." I joked with a smirk.

"No, Martinez. I have an offer for you to become an Avenger, or a team mate. You can join us, but under Miss Romanoff's watch."

"Excuse me? I don't need anyone to watch me." I snapped.

"It's not so much that you need to be watched," he said as he took a seat, "it's more like she has skills she can teach you."

"Like what? Sneaking around, blending in like a chameleon? Killing the target perfectly while silent?" I asked.

"Yes."

I rolled my eyes.

"We watched the footage of you in World War one. We know who helped create the serum that made you, and we know that you're hiding from them under a different name." Director Fury said.

I tensed and licked my lips, "How do you even know that?"

"Like I know you're going to accept my proposal."

I glared at him and then looked at Natasha. Her eyes and body language were damn near completely unreadable, but her aura just had a layer of hopeful on it. I sighed and looked down before looking back at Director Fury.

"What all do I need to do?"

"Just accept it, Natasha here will oversee you and train you, then when she deems it okay, you'll go on a mission."

I sighed and nodded, "Fine, yeah. I agree." I said.

Director Fury nodded and helped me walk out to the hallway. I caught a glimpse of my body; the blisters had fallen off but I now had scabs covering my body and my skin was red and splotchy. I sighed and followed them, my legs weak.

"Can you walk?" Natasha asked.

"My legs are just hurting, this happens every time I do stuff like this." I said, my legs being slow.

"Wait here, hang on." She said.

She left me and Director Fury.

"You know, for someone who tries to stay emotionless, she seemed worried about you not walking right."

"I doubt it. She just needs someone to train, she's just trying to help me so she can do her job." I sighed.

"I don't think so..." He said as she came back with a wheelchair.

"Here, sit."

I hesitantly climbed into the seat, my shirt raising up a bit so I could see the tattoo on my hip. Natasha seemed to notice it and I put it down, my hands going to the wheels but she began pushing me with my IV still attached to me. I sighed and leaned back, allowing her to push me.

"Miss Romanoff, take her to her room. Make sure she's ready for tomorrow." Director Fury.

"Yes, sir."

Natasha pushed me to my room, people staring at me through a windowed corridor as we passed by an office. Inside, I could see Steve Rogers, Bruce Banner, Clint Barton, Thor, and a few other members of the Avengers staring at us. I instinctively hid my face and tried to hide my body when suddenly someone stopped in front of us.

"Nat, what's up?" A male asked.

I glanced up and saw a metal arm, and I froze. I gulped softly and looked at the owner. Silence fell between all of us until he walked away. I straightened my posture as much as my scabbed body would allow me to as she pushed me away and to my room.

"What was that about?" She asked.

"Bad past." I replied silently as we got into my room.

I sighed and slowly got into my bed, Natasha helped me and then she waited for a moment, pure silence gracing us. I looked around my room and closed my eyes, leaning my head back. I shivered and I felt a blanket cover my body, to which I snuggled into. I smiled softly and said a simple "thank you" to whoever put the blanket on me. I heard my door close and then I grabbed the remote and turned on the TV.