10

I was woken up early the next morning. Nathaniel's mother wanted me to get a wedding dress style officially picked out, along with a hairstyle.

"I'm so glad you're marrying my son." She said.

"Oh, why?" I asked, zipping up the nasty dress that I knew I wouldn't wear.

"He had several brides in mind, one of which was that assassin." She scoffed, "Natalia Romanova."

I tensed, "Oh, what's so bad about her?"

"She's got too many enemies, plus she could never produce children; she's been sterilized."

I frowned and then yelped as she tightened my corset. She began to ramble about how I look stunning. I sighed and eventually agreed, even though I'd never felt more ugly in my entire life.

I sighed, "Perfect."

"This is it?" Nathaniel's mother asked.

"This is it." I smiled.

She helped me take the itchy and stiff dress off and then I got dressed. I told everyone that they could take care of the wedding and that I'd just stand there looking pretty since there was literally nothing to do for me.

Eventually, I got tired of waiting around and walked away. I explored the house, looking for the objects that I was sent to retrieve. I was mainly sent to just arrest him, but I'd need cold hard evidence. I sighed and opened a door and saw a little girl sitting in the room all by herself.

"Hi." She replied softly.

"Hi, I'm Katariina. You are?" I said.

"Jessamine." She said as she played on her tablet.

She was no older than ten years old with long blonde hair and striking blue eyes. She was skinny and had long legs.

"I like your name. What're you doing up here? Shouldn't you be with the family?" I asked sitting beside her.

"Dad doesn't want me getting involved. Thinks I'll mess things up. Are you dad's new wife?" She asked.

"Yeah, I guess so."

She sighed, "I shouldn't be talking to you then," she said and turned over.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Whenever I talk to dad's wives, they disappear. I overheard the maids talking about it." She said as she kept playing the game.

"Overheard what?"

"Dad takes the girls away, and he... I heard the maids say he kills them." Jessamine said.

I tensed and licked my lips, "I don't think he kills them, Jessamine."

"I don't know. It's his life though, he says it's how he makes a living."

"You talk really grown up." I said.

"I'm almost eleven, but it feels like I should be older. I grew up too fast." She said, pushing some of her hair behind her ear.

"Well, I'm not going anywhere. So, how about we play some PS4, huh?" I asked.

I watched her eyes light up and she nodded, tossing her phone to the side and
running to her TV. We broke out the controllers and put in some Call of Duty.

"Hey! No fair, you cheated!" She yelled.

"I did not! I merely used the land to my ability!" I yelled back.

She glared playfully at me and we went back to playing. Jessamine yawned and we turned the game off, her crawling onto my lap.

"I don't want you to leave. I like you, you're nice and pretty." She said.

"I won't be leaving, angel." I said, kissing her cheek.

Soon enough, after a good few minutes of me running my fingers through her hair, she fell asleep. I smiled at her, her hair flowing over her shoulders and down her back, her back rising and lowering as she breathed in slowly. I lifted her up gently, laying her on her bed and laying beside her. Her blankets were soft, warm, and I found myself falling asleep, my last thought being Natasha.

I woke up to someone gently shaking me, "Darling, wake up. Come to bed." Nathaniel said.

I groaned softly, getting out of Jessamine's bed and covering her back up. Her eyebrows furrowed so I laid a gentle kiss to her forehead and followed Nathaniel to our room.

"I can't wait to marry you, darling."

"Mhm... Feeling is mutual." I replied.

Nathaniel allowed me to change first and then he came in. I brushed my hair and put it in a french braid. I rubbed my eyes and crawled under the covers, facing away from Nathaniel as Natasha covered my thoughts again.

I missed her; her scent, her smile, her voice. Everything about her, I craved her. I needed her back.

Nathaniel put his arm around my waist and pulled me tight. He began to whisper flithy things into my ears and I whimpered in disgust. I gulped and licked my lips.

"You should... You should wait for that talk." I said.

"You're right. I'm sorry, darling. Sleep, tomorrow is the big day."

My chest rose and lowered, my heart aching for my girlfriend back but she was away from me, and I wasn't sure when the next time I'd see her again was.

"Why do you have so many people over?"

"Business talk. Go up with Jessamine, I'll come get you at bedtime." Nathaniel said, kissing my cheeks.

I nodded and walked away, merely standing outside the door, listening to the discussion.

Suddenly, everything sounded underwater. I couldn't understand it, I couldn't understand anything, only Nathaniel.

"She's learning to obey well. If I can get Katarinna to go back to her solider ways, she will train a good progeny."

Underwater, muffled voices getting louder. Then, silence.

"Is someone on the roof?"

I looked up and listened, hearing nothing. I silently groaned as muffled voices started talking again. Then, a loud crash was heard.

Broken glass flew through the doorway, cutting the left side of my body. I bit my tongue and ran away from the yelling and the sounds of broken glass.

My body shot up right, gasps and sobs leaving my lips. Nathaniel woke up and began holding my hands, kissing my cheek and soothing me. I licked my lips and cried, but I didn't know why I was crying, but I did. And that was the first time anyone other than Natasha had seen me cry.

--------------
Word Count: 1028

I'm exhausted, but I wanted to get this chapter out for you all. I'm currently sick, but I figured this should be something I put out for you all.

Hope you enjoyed it!