Chapter Two

Sky put it off as long as she could. But as the autumnal equinox loomed at the end of the week, she knew it was only a matter of time before Aiden Hall visited her tearoom, bearing a Mabon gift. She would much rather meet him in his territory than have him settle comfortably into hers.

So she gripped the enchanted coupon like a weapon and she left the safety of her tearoom. An early frost dusted the golden leaves in curling patterns of crisp white and blue. Her boots clicked on the pavement as she steadily made her way along the two blocks to Spellbound.

When she turned the corner, the shop came into view, tucked in the middle of a grove of weeping willows. Ivy crawled up the sides of the building, leaves grasping at the warmth provided by the windows in an effort to escape the encroaching chill of winter. A crow settled on the roof's sharp peak and squawked in its rough, crackly voice.

Sky slowly approached the door and paused, listening for any sounds of activity inside. She eased the door open. A dark grey bell overhead tinkled and Sky winced. She peeked in the shop with one eye squeezed shut as if she could ease the impact of seeing Aiden Hall for the first time as long as half of her vision was not in use.

The cash register was empty.

Sky released a breath of relief and tiptoed into the shop. A wave of warmth, tinged with the scent of cloves, vanilla, and cinnamon washed over her. She tugged at her scarf to loosen it from around her face.

Next to the register, in the corner behind the counter was a perch with a large black raven huddled atop it. The bird ruffled its feathers but didn't move or make a sound.

The raven must be Aiden's familiar—his guide that assisted him with magical use. Every witch and warlock had one. Some were more intimidating than others. Even Sky had one, though she rarely used magic. Her familiar was at home—a large gray cat, named Ceylon, that slept fourteen hours a day on her pillow and was too lazy to bother catching mice, let alone helping Sky to hone her magical skills.

On the outside, Spellbound seemed a little intimidating, with its dark exterior and unusual shape.

But on the inside, Sky couldn't deny that it was a cozy set up.

Displayed at the windows were shelves of crystals to catch the light and shine in a rainbow of colors, from the perky lilac of amethyst to the smooth ink black of obsidian.

In one corner, a small fountain bubbled amiably. Enchanted goldfish darted in gold and orange beneath the ripples, wandering over blue and purple stones scattered across the bottom of the fountain.

Dried herbs hung from the ceiling in clusters of lavender, tansy, yarrow, and rue.

Along one wall were jars of ointments, bottles of potions, and every flavor of wine Sky had ever seen—from elderberry to dandelion to rose hip.

Sky found the candle section, tucked away in neat drawers. Over three dozen varieties of candles were spread out, thin and pale to fat and dark. She selected a thick, cranberry red candle, the perfect shade to celebrate autumn equinox, along with five smaller ones in blues, greens, and purples.

"Good evening."

Sky flinched and spun around. And she found herself face to face with Aiden Hall.

Oh.

Oh no.

The reports didn't do him justice. Grey eyes. Glossy dark curls that looked so touchable and soft. He wore a form-fitting black turtleneck that accented the sharp angle of his jawline. The fabric clung to his lean frame like water, outlining his narrow waist and the straight line of his shoulders.