Chapter Nine

Aiden went still.

Sky closed her eyes.

Then he...laughed.

It was a quiet, deep, beautiful sound. With Sky's hand on his chest, she could feel the vibrations of it and her heart ached all over again. It was yet another thing about him that she wanted to commit to memory, every little detail that she could soak up.

"I know," Aiden replied.

Sky's eyes flew open. She snatched her hand back.

"You knew?" she said. "After all this time and you didn't say anything?"

He shrugged. "I seem to recall that you didn't say anything either."

Sky searched his face. Aiden's pupils were still too wide, dark with want. Even if he had known about the spell, maybe he was still bewitched. Maybe she had to break the spell to get him to understand the severity of her actions.

"It was harmless," Aiden said. "Those love potions on the counter are more for display. They're weak at best, mostly just scented water. I learned the hard way a long time ago to keep the really powerful stuff behind the counter where it was safe from eager children with grasping hands."

Sky scrubbed at her forehead. Shouldn't she be happy about this? The damage hadn't been nearly as bad as she had originally thought. And if she had simply told Aiden right from the start about what happened, she wouldn't have suffered such turmoil and conflict over the past few days.

Aiden tilted his head to the side to look Sky in the eyes. He cupped her chin in his hand, lifting her head until she met his gaze.

"To be honest," he said softly. "I didn't tell you because I was afraid you wouldn't come around again. I liked having you in my shop. I didn't know how to get your attention otherwise."

Sky's stomach pitched with delight and she sucked in a shivery breath.

"You mean..." She started then faltered.

"Your spell didn't stick, Sky Sangrey," he said. He bumped his nose against hers, his mouth a trembling inch away from brushing her lips. "You thought you would bewitch me with magic. Instead, you bewitched me with that sweet smile."

He traced his thumb over Sky's bottom lip and she leaned into his touch, kissed the pad of his thumb. Maybe it was real after all...

"Besides," Aiden added. "I thought it would be fun."

Sky blinked and pulled back to look at him.

"Fun?" she said. "What do you mean?"

Aiden trailed his fingers along the column of Sky's throat, knuckles grazing her collar bone.

"Wildemoor is a quiet place," he said. "It could use a little budding romance to brighten things up."

"So I was just...entertainment for you," Sky said, her voice barely above a whisper. "Because you were bored."

Aiden's eyes widened a fraction of an inch and he shook his head.

"No. Hell's bells, Sky, no, that's not what I—"

"It is," Sky said. "You said it yourself."

"If you'd let me explain—"

Sky put up her hands, shielding herself. A moment ago, she had felt the solid warmth of Aiden beneath her palms. Now she dreaded having him anywhere near her.

"You've said more than enough," she replied. "I have to go."

"Sky, please, I didn't mean to upset you," Aiden said, hands spread wide in supplication.

She turned away, the Mabon celebration a blur of red decorations and white lights through the tears welling in her eyes.

She had been a fool in more ways than one. Her magic had always been weak and spotty. And then suddenly she believed she was strong enough to cast a spell over a powerful warlock?

Aiden caught Sky's elbow and attempted to turn her back to face him. But Sky wrenched her elbow out of his grip. Where his hand had been, she could feel the heat of his skin searing through her coat. Only two minutes ago, she had found comfort in that heat. Now she despised it.

"I know what I did was wrong," Sky said, her voice wobbling. "I didn't mean to cast that spell over you, even if it didn't stick. It was an accident but I never should have kept that from you. I understand that."

"Sky, please don't cry," Aiden said. His hands hovered in the air as if he wanted to reach out and touch her face, to reassure her, but Sky shook her head and retreated another step, putting even more distance between them.

"But you had no right to toy with me like that," Sky said. Her voice cracked and she covered her mouth with one hand. "I might be just a tea witch but that doesn't mean you get to play with my affections, tugging me around like a marionette."

Aiden looked miserable. His hands dropped to his sides, his shoulders curved inward.

"But...isn't that what you did to me?"

Sky blew out a frustrated breath. He was right. She had been toying with him like a puppet. She whirled around and ran through the orchard, past the buffet table, past the sheaves of wheat and the sparkling stars of magic, past the celebration of Mabon that welcomed changes and the death of summer into the rise of autumn.

"Sky?" Bryony called. "Where are you going?"

Sky kept running. She didn't stop until she got home, pushed the little white gate open, clattered up the stone walkway and tumbled in the door.

Ceylon meowed from the hallway and Sky gathered her up into her arms. She carried Ceylon to bed, climbed under the covers and buried her face in Ceylon's fur.

There was no doubt that the spell was broken. But in the worst possible way—a way she had never expected or planned for.

She had jinxed herself.