Chapter Six

It was Thursday afternoon and there was always a lull at Boiled and Brewed during this time of day. Sky busied herself with making vats of harvest tea in the kitchen for the Mabon celebration until her whole house smelled of cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange peel.

Then movement at the front gate drew Sky's attention out the kitchen window. She went still at the sight of Bianca Lovett pushing open the little white-washed wooden gate, gliding up the uneven cobblestone path to Sky's front door.

Sky flew into action. She tugged off her apron and stuffed it under the sink. She rummaged through the rack of dishes drying beside the sink before she found a clean teacup that wasn't chipped and set it on a tray along with a pot of boiling water.

A light knock echoed at the door.

Sky swallowed hard and forced herself to stop. She took a deep breath and carried the tray to the sitting room. Then she made her way down the hall to the front door and opened it.

"Good afternoon, Bianca," she said.

Though Sky and Bianca were both witches, living in the tiny community of Wildemoor, their paths rarely crossed. Sky never took dance lessons and Bianca knew more spells that Sky ever did. They simply existed in entirely different circles of magical use.

And yet Bianca was standing on Sky's steps now. Her fingers were twisted together, her peach-pink lips pressed into an unsmiling line.

She was worried about something.

Sky reached out and touched Bianca's hand.

"What is it?" she whispered.

"I was hoping you could do a reading for me," Bianca said. "Perhaps tea and...tarot? If you have the time, of course. My dreams have been so...cloudy and disturbing lately. It's difficult to sleep and I would greatly appreciate a little clarity."

Sky nodded and stepped aside. "I'll do what I can," she said. "Please come in. I have some tea ready and waiting for you."

Bianca let out a sigh of relief and seemed to wilt like a flower. She had always carried a slim, athletic build, but as Sky looked at her now, she seemed frail. Too pale and the angles of her face too sharp.

The worry was eating away at her. She couldn't banish it and she must be growing desperate if she was coming to Sky for help. Bianca had never crossed Sky's threshold before but something was pushing her to do so now.

Sky led Bianca to the sitting room and Bianca sank into an armchair, her thin frame nearly swallowed by the cushions. She closed her eyes for a moment and tilted her head back. In a heartbeat, her breathing leveled out and her body went slack.

Sky watched her as she poured the tea, her hands going through the familiar motions even as her attention was directed elsewhere. Bianca was exhausted. When the reading was over, Sky would have to mix up some tea for her to take home that would help her sleep, to get rid of the dreams that were upsetting her.

Sky cleared her throat and set the tea and saucer on the table in front of Bianca.

Bianca startled awake and passed a hand over her face. Her blonde hair, usually gleaming gold, was flat, a dull grey shade. When she accepted the tea, her hands shook until the cup and saucer rattled like chattering teeth.

"Just drink that down," Sky said. "And then I can read the leaves. After that, we'll move on to the tarot cards."

Bianca nodded and sipped at the tea. Sky poured herself a cup of tea as well. It put her clients at ease and served as a warm welcome when she had tea with them.