Chapter Fifteen

Samhain was here.

Sky was in Bryony's massive kitchen with candy apples covering every available surface. Sky swiped her finger through the caramel dipping sauce.

"I saw that," Bryony said, her back to Sky as she maneuvered another tray of apples onto the table.

"You've been stealing tastes all day," Sky said.

"Because I'm older than you. I can do that."

Sky scoffed. "That logic might work on your siblings but it won't fly with me."

Bryony picked up two candy apples, dripping in lush, red caramel, drizzled with chocolate, sprinkles, and nuts. Sky accepted it, breathing in the intoxicatingly sweet smells that smothered it.

A clatter of boots in the hall signaled the arrival of a Torres sibling.

Seline skidded into view, her heavy brown boots two sizes too big for her, nearly reaching up to her knees. Her pants had a streak of mud from hip to knee on one side and there was a crown of leaves, berries, and pinecones tangled in her hair.

"Mom says you have to help us pick pumpkins to get the jack 'o lanterns lit," she declared, hands on her hips.

Bryony paused, mouth open to take a bite. She narrowed her eyes.

"I've been making candy apples for hours," she said. "Give me a break."

Seline tilted her chin up. "I'll tell Mom."

Bryony grunted. She whisked an apple off the counter, streaked with bright pink frosting.

"You've just bought yourself ten minutes," Seline said. "Make the most of it."

She clomped out of the house again. Distantly, Seline's voice could be heard as she showed off her candy apple to her siblings, and no, she wouldn't share, not even a single bite, much to the chagrin of her brothers and sisters.

Bryony sighed. "She's become a demon of a haggler now that she's selling to Spellbound. I blame it all on your Aiden."

Sky choked on a bite of her apple.

"My Aiden?" she squeaked. "Sweet Nicniven, why would you say it like that?"

Bryony shrugged and bit into her apple. Caramel smeared across her chin and a spot of chocolate got on the tip of her nose.

"Because he is," she said, as if that was a perfectly reasonable explanation.

"But he's not," Sky said. "And I'd appreciate it if you didn't make it a habit of calling him that. Especially during Samhain where people will hear you," she added with emphasis.

"Hear what?"

Basil stood at the back door, mud coating his bare feet, his short curls frizzing around his hair in an orange halo.

"You're supposed to knock, Basil," Bryony hissed.

Basil shrugged. "Why? I live here, too."

"Because it's polite."

Basil made a face and his gaze fell on the candy apples lined up along the counter. Bryony cleared her throat.

"Don't even think about it," she said.

"You gave one to Seline."

Bryony huffed and brandished a candy apple at him.

"This is blackmail," she said.

Basil grinned as he bit into his apple. "And it tastes so good."

"You got what you wanted. Now shoo."