Ch. 10: Rethinking

As soon as him an Lucas made it into the AV room, Lucas looked at him from across the table and crossed his arms.

"You were late." He spoke with a cross attitude.

Mike shook his head apologetically, "yeah, sorry man, I just got caught up in my conversation with Will and-"

"No, no, it's okay, hat actually gives me the perfect transition into what I wanted to talk to you about," Lucas interrupted.

Mike looked at him expectantly and after a small pause, Lucas continued, "You can't keep doing this to him, man."

Mike pulled back and gave him an extremely confused glare, "what are you talking about?"

"Will." Lucas elaborated. "Look, I know it's hard seeing he thinks you love him and you don't wanna disappoint him but leading him on is only gonna hurt him more when we have to tell him the truth."

Mike waved his hands at Lucas signalling for him to shut up. "Wait, wait, wait, wait, no. No, Lucas I'm not leading him on I spent the whole day on Monday brainstorming how to treat him. I know what I'm doing."

"Well obviously, you don't." Lucas argued. "Because if you did-"

"Lucas, no! I'm treating him as I always have!"

To this, Lucas paused and slowly raised his eyebrow. "Is that what you think?"

"Yes!" Mike continued, "look, when I first told him, I didn't know how to act and I was extremely uncomfortable because he likes me, and I don't like him back but he thinks I do, right?" Mike watched Lucas nod his head. "And I couldn't just treat him like a normal friend because then he would get suspicious. I had to find an in between. And... i didn't think that was possible. But I think I did find it because we're both content."

Mike watched Lucas shake his head. "No, Mike you're not treating him like a friend, anyone who saw would think you guys were a couple."

Mike gave him an annoyed look. "But I'm comfortable with how we are. If we were acting like more than friends I would be uncomfortable because I don't like him Lucas, God." Mike rolled his eyes and looked away but while the room was silent he could feel his friends gaze piercing at him. Eventually, Mike lifted his head and shot a dirty glare at Lucas. "What?" He questioned.

He watched Lucas bring his hand to his chin and lean his back against the wall behind him looking deep in thought. "You said you're comfortable with the way you two act?"

Mike looked to the left annoyed and confused to be having this conversation in the first place. "Yes?"

Lucas lifted his eyebrow and sighed earning yet another glare from Mike. "Mike are you sure you're 'just okay' with him holding your hand or do you like it?"

Mike stood up from his chair with sudden movement throwing daggers at his friend through his eyes. "What the fuck are you implying?"

Lucas raised his hands in the air in surrender. "I'm not implying anything Wheeler. You like it or not?"

Mike felt a blush crawling up his face knowing all-too-well the answer to that question (and not liking it one bit). "That doesn't mean I'm gay!"

"So, I'm gonna take that as a yes." Lucas stated raising an eyebrow.

"I-" Mike didn't know what to say. He just stood there staring at Lucas flustered and a blushing mess at this point. He lowered his head and sat down on one of the chairs. "I'm not gay." He mumbled quietly.

"Maybe."

Mike kept his head low but he felt the shuffling of Lucas as he began picking up his backpack.

"Look, I'm not stating any facts Mike but you may wanna rethink how you feel about lil Byers 'kay?" Mike felt a hand rest itself peacefully on his shoulder. "And if you really aren't into him, then please limit how much affection you show him alright? None of us asked for this and we really don't want him getting hurt more than he already is going to. See you tomorrow bud."

Mike felt Lucas give him one more pat on the shoulder before hearing him open the door to the AV room and leaving. Mike just sat in his chair for a little bit, sulking. He hadn't found a middle. He had just lead Will on.

'How did this happen? I felt comfortable with the way things were going. If we were acting like a couple then why was I okay with it?'

Mike ran his fingers through his hair and picked up his own back pack. Letting out a huff of air, he swung the door open and made his way down the hallway. Once he was outside, he felt the crisp air hit him in the face. Mike peacefully mounted his bike and made his way home at a steady pace.

He had a lot to figure out.