Ch 22: Step 2: Break Up With Jane (But Nicely)

The clouds were beginning to grey and it was looking like another thunderstorm was upon the town of Hawkins very soon. Mike couldn't feel any water yet but it was coming, he could feel it. The boy was standing just outside the Hopper's door, building up the confidence to knock.

Mike had no idea how this was going to go down. The thing about El was she was very unpredictable. Sometimes she was understanding, other times she... wasn't so much. She would throw these huge fits and scream and cry and everything in the room would go flying. It was even dangerous to be around her sometimes when she was like this. Mike had to put his trust in her that she wouldn't hurt him because he's her friend.

The boy took a deep breath, lifted his fist towards the door and tapped 3 times.

A few seconds later, he heard the sound of multiple locks being switched before the door creaked open to reveal the most intimidating man Mike had ever had the pleasure to meet: Jim Hopper.

He looked angry (as per usual) and crossed his hands at the doorway, "well if it isn't Mikey Wikey, everyone's favourite little boy right now."

Mike let out a small, exasperated sigh, 'shit, El and Joyce probably told him what's been going on.'

"What do you want?" The man continued.

Mike gulped, "um... if you don't mind... I'd like to speak to El? I need to tell her something."

Jim threw him a sarcastic smile, "Jane doesn't want to talk to you right now. See, she's quite upset. Over you being a dick. You remember that, right?"

Mike balled his hands into fists and forced himself to calm down, "Look, I know what I did was stupid and... I'm actually here because I want to make things right."

"How so?" The man spoke intimidatingly sending a chill down Mike's spine. God, he hated talking to him.

"Well I was just going to-"

"Because from what I've heard," Hopper continued cutting Mike's words, "the last time you tried to fix something, you really fucked it up!"

Mike furrowed his eyebrows. He did not just go there. "Exactly how much did Joyce tell you about Will and I?"

Jim laughed and took a bite out of an apple Mike hadn't even noticed was sitting in his hand, "you got a good detector kiddo," he complimented through a mouth full of food, "y'should come work for me. I could find you a spot in the detective department."

"Answer the question please."

Jim took another bite out of his apple, "she didn't tell me much kid, just said you hurt Will's feelings real bad."

"Mike?"

Both the guys turned the heads toward he soft voice that had emerged from the shadows. El stood beside her bedroom door, staring at Mike, a shocked expression glued to her face. She began to make her way toward him.

"Mike, what are you doing here?"

Hopped placed his hand between the two and pushed El backward, "nah, you're not associating yourself with this kid anymore monkey okay? He's bad news."

Mike shot him a glare while El tried to struggle out from his grasp, "Hopper, just let me talk to him."

"No," Hopper began to close the door

"Hey! Hopper come on, just let me talk to him!" El began to use her powers to open he door while Hopper was still pushing it shut, "Hopper let me talk! I can talk!"

The stubborn man shock his head, "No Jane I'm doing this for you, I'm protecting you. You'll thank me later trust me, Mike is not good for your-"

"DAD!"

Both Mike and Hopper stared at the girl in shock... wow... that was the first time she... she's never...

El placed her hand on her father's arm, "dad. This the second time you tried to protect me by pushing me away from Mike. It doesn't work. Let me talk."

Hopper looked from El to Mike before shaking his head and leaving to his room.

Everything went quiet and all you could hear was the ruffle of the trees as the wind winded itself through them. Mike and El stared into each other's eyes, both not exactly knowing what to do. Eventually, El slowly closed the door behind her leaving them both standing outside on her porch.

"...Well?" The girl started, giving Mike a small jump, "what do you want?"

Mike sighed and avoided eye contact as he stared at his feet, his heart pumping 80 miles an hour, "I..." he started, "I wanted to apologize. And... explain myself," El stayed silent, waiting for him to continue, "what I did... yelling at you like that... that wasn't fair. And... I'm really really sorry.

"Do you remember the day of the dare? When Dustin asked me to confess fake love I had for Will?" El nodded promptly, "well... on Monday I did it. And... it didn't go too well. Turns out, Will has actually loved me for quite awhile now. And... I dunno I panicked and I was an idiot and I wasn't thinking straight and I just... I went along with it and I didn't correct him. After that, we started getting really touchy and we would hold hands and stuff and I guess I realized... I kind of always liked him. Even if I kept it buried it's always... been there," Mike lifted his head to look El in the eyes. He heart cringed. She looked like she was on the brink of tears. Mike sighed deeply to calm himself down, "and that's... um... that's where we come in." El was shaking her head and she let out a soft sob. Mike watched in pure pain as a tear rolled down the side of her cheek. He himself felt water building up behind his eyes, "El..." he choked, "you are an amazing person. And... I can't thank you enough for everything you've given me while we were together. It's not your fault but..." Mike felt a tear roll down his cheek as he gazed into the sad girl's eyes, "...I don't feel the same towards you as I used to... we need to break up... I'm sorry."

Mike watched helplessly and his now ex-girlfriend sniffed and sobbed holding herself through crossed arms. He felt horrible... this was the second heart he had broken in under 2 weeks. He let El cry and kept his distance but didn't leave. He could feel the sky spitting now. Soon it would be pouring. Finally, El lifted her head, wiped her eyes and nodded. She looked up at Mike, still sad but feeling better after letting her emotions unwind.

The girl sniffed sadly, "I am sad. But... I understand."

Mike was slightly taken aback. He didn't really expect this to be her reaction. Obviously, Hopper had been teaching her how to handle her emotions with more control, "r-really?" He stuttered.

El nodded her head smiling a little bit, "You seemed scared when we kissed. I didn't understand why but... I see now. You didn't like it. And that's... okay," she sniffed, "I think... that this is good." She spoke, turning towards the trees.

"Why?" Mike replied curiously.

"I lost lots of my... kid time. And I am still learning how to act my age. I should date other people. It is healthy for me."

Mike felt a smile emerging on his lips, mirroring the one forming on El's as she turned back towards him.

"So... we're cool?..." the boy asked hesitantly.

El's smile stretch wider revealing her teeth underneath them, "yeah. Like a popsicle."

Mike let out a happy sigh of relief and his eye wielded with tears. He wrapped his arms around El as tight as he could and sobbed into her shoulder. He felt El's hand wrap around him as well as her back huffed with sobs. The two simply embraced each other, filled with love and emptying their tears onto each other's backs.

"I love you El." He whispered through sobs

"I love you too Mikey."