"William or Charley" Who Will Return?

Chapter 9:
William Or Charley, Who Will Return

Queen Mary Elizabeth lived happily with the family she had wished for, the only problem was that she wished that her husband was here to witness how their family and kingdom had grown. Since their son "William the Second " was the newly crowned "King of Chipping, Camden" and with his marriage to his French bride Annabella, they both had given England stability. She would have liked him to witness all of these things for himself. Of course, William's father was the person that built the kingdom and if he were here, everyone could give him their thanks for that too. It could have never been accomplished if were not for the magical powers that he had as Charley, The Magical Flounder. It was his magical powers that allowed them to grow and flourish in the country. Because so many children had died during the Black Plague, and to have three healthy grandsons to be born during that time of crisis in England's history, was a great feat. So, it was just natural that the Queen Mary Elizabeth Woodley wanted too share this life with her long lost husband, who was still swimming the ocean's freely about them.

The Queen Mother, was feeling a bit sadder than usual on this one day and her son seemed to notice her as she was walking around the Royal Court. He could tell something was bothering her, yet he was afraid of stirring the pot and making her feel worse than she already was feeling. But he decided to ask her, if there was anything that he could possibly do to make her feel better. When he broached the subject, she could not answer the question that he needed to know, and the only reason words spoken were that she would be better in a few hours. So William continued doing his duties for his kingdom, but kept her in his mind, thinking how sad his mother had seemed.

Queen Mary Elizabeth, wanted to go back to the spot where she would meet Charley and call for him that today. But since that one day when she went there and it took him so long too return she was afraid of going back and that if called again he might not come back home to her ever again. The Queen Mother, couldn't shake off that feeling, that the Wizard Merlin 🧙🏻‍♂️, had really done something to his spell and caused him to not hear her voice when she came to call him. She thought the spell had somehow had been hexed by her trusted little magician by putting another spell in the first one, only if it was too keep Charley in the ocean's water longer than he originally had stated. So Mary Elizabeth decided to go back again and call for Charley just so she could find out if he would come home quicker than the this time.

The Queen Mother ventured out to the same spot, as before she called and called using her magical verse. And Charley again did not respond! That's when she knew that the Wizard Merlin 🧙🏻‍♂️ had decided to keep him bound to him longer and she didn't know why? So, Mary Elizabeth decided to go back to childhood home, in northern Umbria. There she might find out her answers. So away she went to "The Forest of Glens" hoping that she would be able too see and talk to her magical childhood friend?

While traveling home she kept thinking about the reasoning behind his actions and she then remembered what he said to them as they were once children. Wizard Merlin told them that everyone continued to believe in magic he would never leave their side! That was the reason he changed the spell, the Queen said to herself. That was the only reason that she could think of that made the wizard upset. Someone in "The Forest of Glens," did not believe that magic was real. That is why, Merlin wasn't going to allow Charley to come home? Because of someone else who decided that magic did not exist! But she couldn't believe that the Wizard took this out on her husband, so while she was there she wanted him to come and talk with her about this problem.

"Merlin, I beseech you to come here right away from hiding behind the wall!" Mary Elizabeth said.

She couldn't hear any magical voices in the forest and that upset her greatly. She tried again and again, yet no one answered her. Mary Elizabeth turned around and started walking back to her Royal Carriage. That's when she heard a giggling voice in the back of her mind.

"Tis I your highness! I am here with you Mary Elizabeth." The Wizard said.

"Where are you Merlin? I can not see you atoll?" She said furiously.

"Well, I guess you have forgotten what I wanted. You could see me again if you only believed in my magic!" The Wizard Merlin said as he jumped up from the castle's wall.

"There you are. What is the meaning of changing the spell that my husband and I made with you, Merlin?" She asked, but she already knew the answer.

"You know why I changed it Mary Elizabeth. There's is someone that doesn't believe in magic in your father's kingdom. And I told you that if they would not believe in my magic that I would have to make them believe in magic again even if I took it out on one of magical people!" Said Merlin.

"I don't think that is fair to Charley? But if that's what you want I shall make a proclamation and announce that the people who don't believe in your magic must leave immediately!" Queen Mother said to him.

"OK! Said Merlin 🧙🏻‍♂️, you try and see if that will help, but until everyone believes in me the spell will stay the same way for now until the day when they come back believing! And that's all I am going too say!" Wizard Merlin replied.

So Mary Elizabeth made a proclamation stating that if the people who lived inside "The Forest of Glens ", does not believe that magical creatures exist in here they will have to pack up and leave! Then the Queen Mother could only hope that this could possibly help her and Charley to get home. Because his 20 years were ending and she really wanted desperately to see him one more time. Now the Queen also found out, that the villagers had been told about a rumbling rumor of a magical fish that was swimming in the ocean's doorway freely. They would talk amongst each other and then they all would start going fishing after work. The rumor stated the same story that was true so it had to come from someone who lived in the forest. Everyone knew about Charley and that he was a magical fish that would grant their wishes three, but what they didn't know was if he was kept out of the water for just a tiny little bit that he would die, never to grant them their wishes. one could only catch him, the fish would grant them the three magical wishes! So the Queen Mother thought about it some more and she also added another point to her proclamation!

"People Of northern Umbria! Unless you want a dead, stinking flounder, inside your bucketful of fish then you should not keep "Charley, The Magical Flounder"out of the waters longer than necessary! She said.

This was not quite the bucket list that the people were expecting to get! But this situation was dangerous for both she and her husband, even if William was a magical fish named "Charley, The Magical Flounder!" And so it was done. She tried her best to bring back the magic that was lost in her homeland but Mary Elizabeth did not have any faith in this case and she seemed so upset about her plight and as for her husband's problems she was in such a horrible turmoil about their situation. So, will the queen's husband ever go home! How will the fairytale end? Who is coming home from the ocean's doorway, William the First, as her faithful husband or Charley, her floundering fish...or will Mary Elizabeth never see either of them again?

~~~

MAGIC CAN COME TO YOU IN ALL KINDS OF WAYS!

~~~

Post Script: this book is under a collaborative ending with the effort of a different author, Wendy Murphree. I am the primary author of the book and have edited the entirety of the chapters. The next chapter is the work of a special friend, who came up with a entirely different ending to my book. I want to congratulate her in making our book a special story.
Thank you, Wendy Murphree!
You can also read the book on her account.

legolas778
~~~