5 | Dauntless Black

We believe in facing that fear no matter what the cost to our comfort, our happiness, or even our sanity.

We believe in shouting for those who can only whisper, in defending those who cannot defend themselves.

We do not believe in living comfortable lives.

- From the Dauntless Faction Manifesto

•••

My palm stings as I place the knife down. I'm handed a small bandage to cover my hand as I look over at my new faction. A sea of black, rather than grey. Different. New. Selfish. Brave. Home.

I feel numb as I walk towards the Dauntless, as if the pain is being reserved for another place, another time. The Dauntless cheer as they open their arms for me, swallowing my body into their midst. As I take a seat with my new faction, my knees buckle under me. I hear sniggers break out around me as I struggle to take a seat next to the other transfer, Minho, formerly of Candor. He smirks at me.

But I hold my head high and watch the rest of the Ceremony. It's Jack's turn after mine, and I avoid his eye contact as the knife cuts through his left hand and his blood splatters over grey stones.

Abnegation.

I squeeze my hands together so hard that my knuckles turn white. I am a traitor; the only traitor. There has not been a single other transfer from Abnegation this Ceremony, and there's unlikely to be another for years. I push my eyes shut, then open them again, blinking.

I do not regret my decision.

The Choosing Ceremony progresses, with a couple of transfers into my new faction. Along with Minho, there's a couple more from Candor, a boy named Frypan, and a brother and sister pair - George and Brenda. Two from Erudite named Thomas and Teresa. That makes seven of us transfers.

The second to last person is called, and my eyes open in surprise when I see the Amity boy there. Newt. He limps towards the bowls, and does not wince as the knife cuts his flesh. He hovers his hand over the soil in the Amity bowl.

Surprisingly, his eyes flicker my way before darting back in front of him, so fast it must have been a trick of the light. His fingers curl over the blood on his palm before he moves his hand over a different bowl.

He opens his hand over the hot coals.

I jerk back in surprise, and my gasp of shock is muffled by the cheers of the Dauntless around me.

Newt's transferred too.

For a brief second, I wonder why it matters so much to me. I've never really had a proper conversation with him. I don't know anything about the boy. But for some inexplicable reason, I'm drawn to him.

The last sixteen year old is called - a boy named Nick - and a split second later, I turn to my family. My old family. Chuck's there, looking at me, and the corners of my mouth quirk up in a final smile. My father's behind him, his hand on Chuck's shoulder, but this time it's me who turns away.

Standing up, the rest of my faction talk loudly amongst themselves, yawning and clapping each other on the back. Beside me, the Candor boy Minho stretches his arms out, and the Erudite boy Thomas looks around curiously. Brenda and George mutter to each other in low voices, and I see her slap him multiple times. Teresa looks at Thomas, eyebrows furrowed, and Frypan and Newt are looking around, appearing slightly concerned.

Newt's eyes meet mine, and the Abnegation part of me forces myself to look down at my grey shoes.

For some reason, eight transfers doesn't feel like enough.