9 | The Coffee and the Mint

I can't sleep.

The deep breathing of everyone else in the room keeps me awake, although I'm sure at least half of the others aren't resting either. 

I can still smell the soft scent of Abnegation on my grey clothes - a natural aroma, of cleanliness and unperfumed soap. It reminds me of Chuck, of our father, preparing meals and taking care of others, with no thought of myself.

In this room are sets of black clothing that the Dauntless have provided for me, clothes that will soon carry the scent of sweat and exercise and power. I will dress in them tomorrow, and look the part of a Dauntless initiate.

I am, to put it simply, terrified. 

My hands move towards my face and brush a lock of hair away from my eyes, but it falls out of place just a few seconds later. My fingers run over the rough lining of the sheets, but nothing offers any comfort. I sit up in bed and cross my legs over the blankets, hands resting in my lap. All I want right now is to be at home with my brother, with his curly hair and red cheeks that stand out in Abnegation, washing dishes and packing up the house with him.

But along with the desire to see my family again, I know that I will never truly belong there, ever again. Not that I ever did truly belong there, with the people whose feet stamp in a steady rhythm, whose monotone life never differs. I suppose the Aptitude Test proved what I knew all along.

Maybe I can make a new family here. With Teresa and Brenda and Thomas and Minho and Frypan. And Newt.

My eyes close.

•••

"What's the time?" A masculine voice asks, and I can imagine the owner's dark eyes darting around curiously, like always.

"Seven thirty." A feminine voice answers him clearly.

"We're gonna be late to training on the very first day-" another feminine voice complains, and I can imagine her rolling her eyes scornfully.

"We should wait until she gets ready." A deep voice says.

"All of us still have to get dressed, Fry-" The first voice argues.

"Well, who wants to wake her up?" An arrogant male voice says.

"I ain't doin' it, Minho." I hear a thick, accented voice say sleepily. I can imagine the owner yawning, stretching his arms up above his blond head.

"Yes, you are." Minho replies. I can hear someone, probably Minho, give another transfer a shove into something hard - the bedframe attached to my bed. I squint one eye open inconspicuously, and see Newt bending over my bed, holding the side of his face - he probably hit it on the bedframe when Minho pushed him.

Not knowing I'm awake, he lightly taps my shoulder. "(y/n)?" he asks, his voice husky and raw with lack of sleep. A shiver of energy rushes down my spine.

I close my eyes fully again. This could be amusing.

He reaches his palms further out to shake my shoulders. I can smell his morning breath on my face.

"Love?" he asks, louder this time, so the whole room can hear. Minho starts laughing, and Thomas joins in, followed by the others.

"Love, huh?" Minho chuckles, in a terrible impersonation of Newt's accent. 

"Is that really what you think I sound like?" Newt scoffs, but his accent only becomes more pronounced in his annoyance. 

I scrunch up my face to keep myself from laughing, and I feel heat rush to my cheeks. Newt must notice, because I can feel him back away from my face and shake my shoulders a final time.