11 | Shooting Ranges and Dauntless Weapons

I roll my eyes at the Candor transfer and turn to Teresa and Brenda instead, who wear identical smirks on their faces.

"You didn't happen to know Newt before Dauntless, did you?" Teresa enquires with a raise of an eyebrow. Brenda grins.

"Uh, no," I say, my mouth quirking downwards in a questioning frown. "Why?"

Teresa and Brenda exchange a somewhat surprised glance. "Oh," Brenda says by way of answer, nudging Frypan in the arm with her elbow - probably hard enough to bruise.

Frypan winces as he rubs his bicep. "Did you have to elbow me that hard, Bren?"

"Of course," Brenda replies, lowering her arm. "And don't call me that, or else I'll elbow you again. Harder."

"Point taken," Fry agrees as Newt sits back down across from him, giving a short wave to the blond boy with his un-injured arm.

I zone out and instead concentrate on the two other boys as Minho turns to Thomas to talk about their theories as to what training today consists of. Thomas seems to think it'll revolve around solving puzzles such as brain teasers and mazes ("It can help fast and logical thinking, Minho!") while Minho scoffs, adamant that we'll be running around the stone walls of the Pit for ten hours straight ("It's a hell of a lot more realistic than shucking Erudite kiddie maze puzzles, slinthead, and besides, we'd take a break for lunch, d'you think they'd starve us?"). It's amusing to watch, and even better when Newt joins in rather mockingly to suggest an obstacle course to dodge Dauntless contraptions, or monsters ("And we'll call 'em bloody Grievers, how 'bout it, eh?").

He's barely started explaining the theory to the other two before the group of transfers is interrupted for the second time in the timespan of about sixty seconds. I'm slightly disappointed when Mark walks in, Jorge following in his wake.

"Transfers, you're late to training!" Mark calls, and there's a sudden flurry of action as the seven of us stand up quickly, Thomas knocking over two glasses of juice in the meantime. I hurry towards the doors in a scramble of bodies, breakfast plates, chairs and tables - none of us want to be too late for the very first day of training.

Following Frypan out the door, we're lead down a stone corridor of the Pit into a dimly lit training room. The room is wide, large; a table with several guns stands slightly to the side of a shooting range.

"Transfers, listen up!" Mark shouts, clapping his hands together for emphasis. "I don't want to have to get you from breakfast every morning. I expect you to be here at eight every morning for the first stage of training, no matter what. Deal?"

Scattered murmurs are heard in the training room as I nod my head in agreement. Mark surveys us, his eyes glancing over each transfer, and continues. "Good. As I was saying, there are three stages of training. We measure your progress and rank you according to your progress in each stage. The stages aren't equal in determining your final rank, so it is possible to improve your rank over time."

He takes a deep breath and gestures to Jorge. "The first stage of training is physical, the next, emotional, and the final, primarily mental. We believe in order to prepare you for your future jobs, we must train you in every way possible, whether you go into leadership, guarding the fence, or keeping the factionless from killing each other."

Jorge steps up to continue Mark's speech. "Like I said last night, you'll be trained separately in the first stage to the Dauntless-borns, however, you will be ranked together. There are 13 of them and 7 of you. Four initiates are taken at the end of stage one, the rest taken at the end of stage three. We estimate that a higher percentage of Dauntless-borns will make it through."