Watch Your Mouth

Brendon and I stopped as Ryan ran up and began walking on my left side. "Okay, I'm going to start off by saying I'm sorry for running into you..." He directed his attention to Brendon, making a face like he was trying to remember if he caught his name. He quickly turned to me. "...and I haven't seen you in three months...your name was...Elise? Yeah, what's up?"

I looked at Brendon and back at Ryan. Talk about proper introductions. Not even close, but it's a start none the less. "I'm glad you remembered my name. Yeah, I've been around. I've just been attending school with Brendon over here." I said and pointed at Brendon, who gave a rubbery wave from my right.

"Hiya, I'm Elise's guardian. It's so good that she told me nothing about you, Ryan. Otherwise I'd have to have been a protective dad and taken you out. Just call me a diva and Elise the lonely and slutty. Again it's pleasure to meet you, homie." Brendon said proudly, walking over to pat a chuckling Ryan on the back.

I yanked Brendon back and swung my elbow into his gut. I barely missed. Barely. Brendon grabbed his stomach and let out a strained chuckle. Ryan's expression dropped. His muscles tensed up and he stopped where he stood as I got inches close to Brendon's face, fogging up his glasses as much as I could.

"No one calls their daughter a slut unless it's obvious. So back off my pits, Dad." Brendon laughed even harder, letting go of his stomach and pulled me into a hug.

"You are the only person I will ever allow to call me that. How my daughter has grown! Hah hah, I love you, girl."

I smirked and returned the gesture. "I love you too, Dad." I retorted, going into our secret handshake. Soon after, Brendon put his arm over my shoulder, buddy-buddy style and we all continued to walk.

Ryan's eyebrow twitched for a moment, followed up by a hesitant smile. "...so, what school do you guys go to?"

"Palo Verde" Brendon and I said at the same time.

Ryan sighed with a frown. "That would explain the lack of interactions...I go to Bishop Gorman." I nodded, letting it stand there, but Brendon had more to say about this school than I did.

"Oh, that school? I heard a senior prank went wrong there, almost setting the school on fire, is that true?" He asked Ryan, whose face went red at the mention of the prank. Was that what their school was most known for? Poor Ryan. I'll bet he was hoping to talk to me one on one without Brendon, leaving us to talk alone. Oh, little did he know...

Ryan nodded, holding back a laugh. "Yeah, it was two and a half years ago. I was a freshman at the time, but word spread quickly. All I know is some smartass was lighting a cigarette when everyone else was trying to tipi the trees next to the school. The ashes began burning the toilet paper, the leaves and...as you've probably guessed, one thing led to another quickly. The kid was suspended from school, almost missing his graduation. Finals were also postponed for two weeks and all I did was play my new Xbox at the time...despite all that, still aced all the tests."

Brendon held up his hand and Ryan returned the high five swiftly. "Right on, Ryan-my-man! You ever played a PlayStation? You might like that better."

Ryan wagged his finger. "Don't even...I want to try out a PlayStation. I see those beautiful as hell games they offer, but have you seen those price tags? Xbox is enough to tide me over if I want to brag."

Brendon thumped his chest. "I beg to differ. No one lives proper without one play on the station. Xbox is just a wannabe system that'll always be third best until the day Nintendo goes out of style. Change my mind, I dare you."

"PC is pretty cool, right?" I raised my hand.

"No." They both said in unison before we all laughed.