Decorated Emergency

"My dad just had another fucking heart attack, man."

Ryan growled through the hands covering his face. He looked embarrassed, but the sound of his voice was coated with worry. Spencer expression dropped as he gaped at our troubled friend. "I need you to take me to the hospital, Spencer. I need to check in on my dad right now." Ryan asked quietly. No doubt he was frustrated about this, but he was too busy trying to keep a steady breathing pattern. The timing couldn't have been anymore asinine. This would have been Ryan's chance to get out, see a great band live, possibly meet Pete Wentz or Patrick Stump. No doubt, we were all excited to see them. But...I couldn't stand seeing Ryan deal with his alcoholic father all by himself for the umpteenth time. He wouldn't be alone this time and Spencer surprisingly agreed with me. Brendon rolled his eyes angrily.

"Seriously? I paid some good money for this concert that's happening in two and a half hours. Do you really want to—" I elbowed him in the ribs. Yes, it was a major waste of money to miss the concert. But this was serious. A serious decision between a good memory and a devastating regret. Seeing that this incident has happened before could only mean each heart attack was more and more likely to kill him, making every case critically urgent. Spencer turned to Brendon, giving him the stink eye. "Then get your ass out of my car, take your fuckin' tickets and go to the concert yourself if it means so much. I'm taking Ryan to the hospital." A little bit more harsh than expected, but he was right. They needed to get there fast. Spencer turned to me. "Elise, are you coming with Ryan and me?"

Why was I stuck with the difficult choice? It was like the Telltale Games stories where you couldn't win if you choose one or the other. But this time it wasn't a game or an investigation, far from it. It was real. I looked back and for between Spencer and Brendon for a moment. I knew what I had to do, but I was going to get hate either way. I sighed and turned to Brendon. "Sarah said she wasn't doing anything tonight. You should call her up and see if she'll go with you to the concert." I could see in Brendon's eyes he was about to curse me out, but he didn't. Knowing how well they hit it off at the Christmas party, asking her out on a date was a great excuse to so sound like less of a letdown.

"I'm going with Ryan and Spencer."

Before I could even finish, Brendon was out of the car, making a phone call. "Yeah yeah, I got that...I'm sorry this happened. I hope your dad recoups quick, Ry. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to—hey, Sarah, it's Brendon." He abruptly concluded, shutting the car door and walking back into the bookstore, phone to his ear. He wasn't taking it as well as I thought he would. "Guys, we need to hurry!" Ryan suddenly blurted out. Spencer said, hands up in defense. "Okay, okay. Don't worry, Ry. We'll be there and in 45 minutes." He started the car and rolled out of the parking lot.

Ryan was trying to keep calm, but wasn't fairing well because his hands were badly shaking. I leaned forward and took his hand in my grasp. He began squeezing mine tightly. His anxiety was only getting worse. I saw his other hand reach for his pocket and pull out two tablets. The painkillers. He swallowed them dry and continued to grip my hand. When was the last time he needed pills? I mean, Ryan was always so happy around us that I completely forgot he had them on him. But that was a matter to discuss another time. I needed to get his mind off of the current situation until we got to our destination.

"What do you know about Miss Jackson?"

Did I just? This could blow my cover...or could it? Ryan slowly looked at me with delayed confusion in his eyes. "That campfire story?" I needed a backup excuse. I shrugged. "I was planning to ask you about Invisible Monsters, but why would I spoil it if I were to read it for myself?" Ryan nodded as Spencer gave me a weird look. He knew it was a lie. I wouldn't actually read the book willingly after I told him of my experience reading Guts, but anything to keep Ryan calm.