Lance || Master Hallman

Overwhelming anger surged up in me. Lotor was selling us like objects to the highest bidder. I wanted to do something, anything, to lash out. But as I looked down at Pidge, I knew I couldn't. If I got myself killed now, that would be of no help to Pidge. I had to stay alive for her. So I held my tongue as Lotor handed us over to Master Hallman. I held my tongue when Master Hallman loaded us up in a transport to go out to his estate. I held my tongue when Master Hallman's servant (read: slave) keeper gave us each a change of clothes, dark pants and a short sleeved shirt made out of some lightweight material for me, leggings and a short dress of the same fabric for Pidge. I held my tongue as I was led to the male slaves' quarters, and shown where there was a pallet laid out for me. I held my tongue when I was told I would be working as a sort of outdoor janitor, to keep the grounds nice. I only hoped Pidge had gotten something easy.

For the rest of the day (we had arrived in the Golomian afternoon) I was shown the ropes by Ryder, a fellow slave. (Sorry, servant.) We were to serve Master Hallman undetected. He or any company should not see us, only the work we had done. I hated every minute of it. I wanted to fight back, get out of this place. But I wasn't stupid, contrary to popular belief. I saw the guards as Ryder showed me around. If I attempted to run, I would get myself killed, and I couldn't do that to Pidge. I couldn't leave her alone. That seemed to be the mantra I ran through my head every minute.

That night, I sought out Pidge. At night, servants were given full run of the place, to do various jobs, and I will not deny I saw a few couples making out in back hallways, too... otherwise preoccupied to notice me. Eventually, I found her, sitting on the roof. Master Hallman had a Roman-style villa, so the tiled roofs weren't too slanted, and some parts were almost completely flat. Pidge had found a ladder and dragged it over to a lower part of the roof, and that's were she sat now. I climbed up to join her. Sitting next to her, I put one arm around her, feeling calmer by just being in her company. She was gazing up at the night sky, which was full of beautiful stars.

"My mom told me a sort of little poem when I was little." Pidge spoke suddenly, keeping her gaze fixed up on the stars. "When you wish upon a star, it will keep you from wandering far, and if your path should go astray, It will help you find you way." I looked closer at Pidge, and noticed the tears running down her cheeks. "But I don't know any of these stars, Lance. I've never felt so lost." She leaned against me, and my heart skipped a beat. She looked so small, so fragile in this moment. I took my hand that had been formerly around her shoulders and stroked her hair. It was really soft, actually. Off topic.

"My mom told me something like that too." I gazed up at the unfamiliar sky. "It was, star light, star bright, first star I see tonight, wish I may, wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight." And as I recited the familiar rhyme, I wished with everything in me that we'd somehow get back home, and away from this nightmare.

"Did you wish for something?" I murmured, but my question fell on deaf ears. Pidge had fallen asleep. Sighing, I picked up the small paladin, and slung her over my back like a sack of potatoes. We couldn't sleep on the roof. Once on the ground, I shifted her to my arms, carrying her bridal-style. She stirred once, but quickly went back to sleep. Poor Pidge, she was exhausted. I found out where her quarters were from a maid, and carried her there, kissing her gently on the forehead as I laid her down, before heading back to my own sleeping area.

A/N: Thank you to all my wonderful readers! This chapter is dedicated to @LMiraculous26! Thank you for voting on all my chapters! It really gave me the inspiration to finish this chapter! 😘 Expect the next chapter sometime this week, and feel free to tell me anything you liked (or didn't like) about this chapter.

Kitten out~