Lance || Running

I pulled Pidge through the maze of hallways, though now-empty ballrooms and courtyards. I didn't think she knew why we were running, but she trusted me enough to keep on sprinting behind me. Finally I darted into an empty room, my bruises and cuts aching, and collapsed against the wall, exhausted. I couldn't tell Pidge what I had seen. I didn't want to scare her.

"Lance. Lance!" Pidge shook me. "What happened?" I shook my head, still catching my breath. 

"We- we have to-have to get out of here," I gasped. "As soon as possible." I looked her in the eyes, pleading. "Please. You have to believe me."

Pidge nodded. "I believe you, but why?"

"I-I can't say. I lowered my head in shame. 

"We can probably get away through the rooftops. I'm sure that somewhere, a roof is close enough to the wall for us to get away. I'll work on finding that tomorrow. You have to find equipment we can use, bedding, tools, etc. I'll try and steal some food. I'll somehow tell you where to meet me, and you can bring a ladder. We can get away in one, maybe two days." 

I looked back up at Pidge, surprised. "You've been thinking." 

"Of course. I knew we had to escape sooner or later. This plan is the quickest, but also the most risky. I don't know if it'll work. But if you say we have to leave now, then we have to leave now."

I hugged Pidge, ignoring the complains from my bruises. I was overwhelmed with gratitude to the small girl, so much cleverer then myself. I could never have figured it out. Pidge stiffened in my arms, and I remembered myself, quickly letting go. My face was burning as I muttered, "Well... um... that's a great idea. Yup. I'm sure it'll work." I nervously rubbed the back of my neck.