Chapter 14: The Day Has Come

I quickly dismissed my alarm as I jumped out of bed, excitement buzzing through my veins as quickly got dressed. 'Today is the day of the sports festival!' I thought and jumped with excitement. Though I barely slept, I felt refreshed and ready. I had spent the night watching past festivals and staring at the ceiling as sleep evaded me.

I closed the door behind me and walked with a pep in my step. 'Calm down, just one foot in front of the other. You don't want to get there ok early...' I said to myself as I gradually got faster.

I was doing a fast jog when I rounded a corner and saw he hot head of class 1-A. He was standing where we usually went out separate ways in the afternoons. "Hey, Bakugou." I smiled brightly at him as I caught up. He didn't say anything as he nodded. I noticed his usually slow pace was faster and his demeanor was less aggressive. 'He must be excited too....'
-
My excitement died down as I started to fill back up with anxiety. 'What if I mess up...There will be so many people...' I thought to myself as I stood in the crowd of students, waiting for the first even to be announced. I couldn't help but think about how underwhelming my my quirk would look next to everyone else. 

"...Obstacle course!" Midnight shouted out and pulled me out of my thoughts. 'Wait what? I should have been listening!' I scolded myself and shook my head as if to erase the etch- a-sketch that is my mind. "This course will test your speed and agility. As well as how you can control your quirk!" The R-rated hero exclaimed as the large doors we were by had three green lights light up over them. The tension was strung tight through the air.

2 left. 'Focus...Its almost time... Don't burn out on the first event...' 

"Annnnddd.....Go!" She shouted as the doors opened and the last light faded out. It was a mad dash to get through the doors and narrow corridor that lead to the course. I winced at the elbows and bodies shoving into me as we all tried to squeeze through at once. 'I can't take this!' I thought and activated my quirk, passing through the bodies a head of me until we broke from the tunnel.

As soon as I did, I noticed a sudden temperature drop and Todoroki breaking from the crowd, pulling into the lead. I phased my feet out of his trap and quickly headed after him, not wanting to fall too far behind. Although, I wasn't the only one who was quick to get moving, as most of class A wasn't caught by his actions.

We had barely made it out of the gates and past all the ice before the first obstacle appeared.

'The robots from the entrance exam...' I thought to myself as my feet came to a stop and I looked up at the tall robot in front of us. It wasn't long beofre Todoroki was moving again, resetting the pace for everyone else. 

"He froze them! We can run through their legs!" Someone in the crowed behind me yelled out. My feet moved on their own and I activated my quirk again as I ran towards the now falling robot. 'Now is my chance to get a head!' 

I instinctively tensed up as the robot fell through me as I kept running. 'That could have really hurt someone...' I thought as I deactivated my quirk and tried to keep at a steady pace and conserve my energy.

I could tell Bakugou was close by from the angry shouting and the explosions that seemed to get louder. This pushed me to run a little harder, as part of me wanted to beat him, but the other part knew I couldn't. He was one of the top students in the class, so if I could beat him, that would mean something, to me at least.

I found myself admiring his form as he didn't even touch the ground. He flew by me using his explosions to keep him air born. 'He makes it look so effortless...' I sighed as I tried to focus on one foot in front of the other and getting to the next obstacle.

-

I stood in front of the canyon as I tried to think of the best way over. I was losing time, even if I was only standing for a moment. 'Think...' I said to myself as I watched Todoroki ice his way across. Bakugou was next as he didn't think twice about blasting his way across, like he did with the robots.

 'That's it!'

An idea crossed my mind. Was it bad? Yes. Was it a death wish? Possibly. Was I going to try. Absolutely. I took a deep breath and took a running jump over the seeming endless abyss under my airborne self. I felt my stomach drop as my momentum carried me through the air and I grabbed on to the ash blonde.

"Hey! what the hell are you doing!?" He said as I held onto him for dear life as we fell a little in the air. He let out stronger bursts to keep us both up. I didn't exactly like this, but it was my best course of action. Maybe. "Sorry...But I didn't know how else to make it across..." I mumbled, feeling his anger radiating.

"AND NOW BAKUGOU AND (L/N) OF CLASS 1-A  ARE TIED FOR SECOND AFTER A DARING LEAP. IS THAT EVEN ALLOWED?" Present Mic's play-by-play rang over the speakers. I could tell the weight of an extra person was causing quite a problem for him as when he hit the ground it wasn't the most graceful landing. We both lunged forward from the force and I hit the ground, rolling  from the momentum, the breath being knocked out of me in the process.

I didn't have time to lay there and be stunned like my first instinct was. I managed to pull myself to my feet and start off again, this time slower. Bakugou on the other hand had the anger of a thousand men burning just as strongly as always. 

"Stay out of my way." He grumbled as he ran past me and I tried to keep up.