Devastation

After a long hiatus, after almost breaking up, after almost ripping eachother to shreds, we're here. Finally touring The Dead Days on a headlining tour. 

We just finished our show at Denver, Colorado last night. It was our first show and it felt so relieving to finally be back on a stage with my band mates and my trusty bass. We got to meet so many of our fans, and so many of them told us they were stoked to see us together. To see us keep going despite the problems we faced. So many kids gave us fan art and letters and super tight hugs...and food. (One kid gave Nick a $30 gift card to Domino's) They asked for pictures and autographs on their stuff. One guy asked us to sign his microphone. A few girls asked us to sign their arms. And I felt honored.

They all sang to our songs and seemed to enjoy themselves as much as we did. During Bad Things, Nick jumped in to the crowd during the bridge and people lost their shit. He didn't make it back to the stage with his mic on time, so Johnny took over the last chorus while he returned. At the end, Dan threw his broken sticks into the crowd that he had signed earlier that day. Adam, Johnny and I tossed some picks into the crowd. Nick joked about not having condoms to pass out this time, since we used to do that when we were like 22.

It made me happy. These guys are my best friends..

"Lloyd, get your ass off the couch and come drive," Nick yells from the drivers seat of our RV. He's been driving through the rain for two hours, and I've been watching fat people fall for two hours. It's my turn to drive now, unfortunately.

"Well, pull over! ," I shout back, getting up, ." I stand next to him and he hands me his phone.

"Can you look up where the nearest gas station is?" he asks, "we're running kinda low."

Our GPS is so old and cheap that it doesn't tell you where all the gas stations and restaurants are unless you stop it entirely and look up a specific one. 

"Yeah." I unlock his phone. His password being, "Ph0ne#6" since this is his 6th phone in the last two years. "I'm surprised you haven't lost this one. Fucking stupid. Just kidding I love you."

He mimics me in a goofy voice then says, "I'm too broke to be losing them, so I never leave a room without patting myself down now."

Dan comes in with his hair in a man bun and a black wifebeater that says Meth and Macaroni. "How much time till we get to Phoenix?"

"We're going to Santa Fe," Nick and I correct him in unison. Nick looks over at Dan with disappointment.

"Oh hell yeah, we're gonna get Fucking hammered after the show!" Dan exclaims. He likes New Mexico for some reason. I shake my head and roll my eyes with a grin.

My eyes shift towards the road ahead. An 18 wheeler truck going full speed towards us. It's going the wrong way, making everyone swerve out of the way. 

Without any thought, I leap in to action. "WATCH OUT!" I scream at Nick, taking the wheel to turn it as quickly as possible. 

We swerve, causing Dan and me to fall over for not wearing seat belts. 

Nick slams on the breaks, throwing us forward. The sound of screeching tires rips through the air.

Suddenly the loudest crash I've ever heard shakes the vehicle. Windows shattering, metal getting totaled, everyone shouting and screaming. The truck hit the back of our van and another car slammed into the right side.

My ears are ringing and my vision is slightly fuzzy as I try to grab my phone to call 911. I open the emergency call so I don't have to unlock my phone. It starts ringing when, suddenly another car crashes into the right side of our van. The force makes my head ache until my eyes close while trying to answer to the dispatcher.

When I open them again, my phone is off and by the driver's seat. I look up to Nick. He's leaning over the steering wheel. There's glass shards from the windshield on his hands and he's getting soaked by the rain. Dan is on the floor next to me, still conscious and awake, but he looks terrified. 

That's a first.

"What just happened?" he mumbles in terror as he sits up and rubs his head.

"We just got hit."

Shaking and weak, I stand up to check up on Nick. I shake his shoulder, and call out his name.

"C'mon Nick, wake up," I say. He doesn't respond so I lean him back. There's so much blood coming down from his forehead and his lower lip. His eyes roll back into his skull, leaving only a sliver of white exposed. My anxiety starts kicking in, "Nick.. Wake up!" My hands tremble and my heart races.

Finally, sirens get louder and so does someone's yelling in pain. Hesitant to leave Nick, I sprint down what's left of the rv and find Johnny staring at his clearly broken left arm.

"Holy shit Johnny,  your arm is an S!" I scream in worry and disgust.

"Holy fuck, holy fuck, holy fuck, this hurts like a bitch," he yelps, flinching when he tries to hold his arm. I go to his side and he looks at me. "You're face is bleeding."

I touch my head and when I look back at my hand there's blood dripping down my fingers, "It's nothing. I'm fine," I assure him, shifting my attention back to his arm. His tattoos are stretched and shifted. "I think the ambulance is getting near."

I look out the broken window to see if I can see the ambulance. It's here, thank God. The blue and red lights shine next to our van. 

Oh Jesus, we were driving over a bridge and were about to drive off it if Nick hadn't slammed on the breaks when he did. He saved us from certain death..

Who ever was driving that truck is going to pay for this. Burn in hell, asshole.

Johnny's gazes behind my shoulder. "Are Nick and Dan okay?"

"I don't know..."