How could this happen again

It's been a few days since the accident. Dan and Adam have gone to a hotel near by to stay the nights and shower. Rachel also booked a room to ensure her baby could sleep well and be bathed and changed when needed. Johnny I have been too stubborn to leave the hospital since we don't really have a reason too, besides comfort and luxury.

Georgette has been getting a bit frustrated with that fact. She wants Johnny to go home with her because every day he stays here, the more he breaks down. His anxieties start taking over, putting him on edge 24/7. I agree, he needs to get away for a bit to get his mind off all this before his mental health deteriorates entirely.

They say the same about me. They think I've been really off since the day of the crash. And they're right.. That feeling of being in a dream even when I'm awake hasn't gone away. I also don't sleep very well, since I sleep sitting up in a chair. I'm running on adrenaline and delusions rather than actual energy.

"What if we all go to a hotel for a few hours to rest up and clean up?" Georgette suggests, "and then we can come back later if you want."

The need of a shower conveniences Johnny and I to finally accept. I feel and probably smell horrid. We leave the room we've been inhabiting with Nick, and head towards the nearest elevator.  Johnny looks at his girlfriend with devilish eyes before subtlety bouncing up and down, causing the elevator to shake.

She slaps him in the chest, "stop! We're gonna get trapped because of you!" She laughs a little.

He chuckles and hugs her. I wish I had that, but sadly the only love I get is from my dog.

Once we're at the lobby, Georgette leads us to the car she rented at the airport. Walking through the parking garage, my anxiety starts kicking in slowly. I feel sweat start accumulating on him hands and the sense of impending doom lurks in my veins.

When we get to her rented car, I see it's a black tahoe, a large car witn plenty of space for everyone. She unlocks it and offers to drive; mostly because she doesn't trust our ability to drive with two hours of sleep. Johnny gets into the front seat to sit by her.

I open the car door to the backseat and step in..

"WATCH OUT!"

Glass shatters and projects through the air. Tires scream and metal hollers as it gets bent and totaled. People shout as the world shakes around me.

Blood. There's blood running down his face as his eyes roll back. Bloody murder screaming breaks my ear drums.

I can't breathe. Fuck.

Suddenly outside of the car and collapsed on the floor, I feel my lungs close and my hands shake violently infront of me. I can't stop crying or yelling at Nick to wake up, but he isn't even here.

"What's wrong, Brad, what happened?" Johnny asks over and over again, but I can't respond. I look at him in the eyes and all I see is worry and concern. Georgette says she's gonna call a doctor inside to help, so she runs in back to the building.

"It felt so real," I manage to say between each gasp of air.

"What did?"

I look around, completely detached from the area. Johnny's movements seem to have been slowed down. I shake my head in attempts to answer.

Shortly after nurses come running and help me up. They lead me back inside and offer me water and somewhere to sit down. Johnny and Georgette have confused expressions on their faces.

"What's going on, sweetheart?" A nurse asks when I start breathing a little more normally.

"I don't know." Not wanting to sound insane or weak, I tell them "I'm fine, I think I'm just tired." All I know is that I am not getting into that car.

Johnny and Georgette leave to the hotel and I stay behind. I didn't want to be in the car. 

Before returning to Nick's room, I go to the empty waiting room. I sit in one of the seats and rest my head in my palms. 

What was that? That's never happened before. I've never like, flashed back, not like that. It felt like I was actually there again. Like the crash happened again just now, but it obviously didn't.

Images flash infront of me and I can't control it. The truck. My phone as I tried calling 911. Nick's face. All the rain; I can almost feel it hitting my skin and soaking my clothes.

Once again the ability to breathe smoothly is stripped away from me. Now it feels like I'm breathing through a coffee straw.

Why is this happening.

I'm fine. 

I'm fine...

Eventually, I return to Nick's room. Rachel and Nevaeh are on the only couch that turns into a bed taking a nap. I stand by Nick and stare at his face.

"Hey, bud. You have to wake up. Your family needs you... We need you," I whisper, "I'm driving myself crazy here."

I really hope he can hear me. I need him to come back. I don't want to lose him.

Nick's eyes start twitching and his eyebrows shift. Unable to react, I silently stare, paralyzed. His fingers curl slightly and extend. 

He's waking up..

"RACHEL!" I shout abruptly. 

She opens her eyes panicked as she jolts up, and Nevaeh starts crying. Oops.

"What the hell, Lloyd?" she yells, passed that interrupted their sleep.

I point at Nick, and she looks over.

"He's moving!" I exclaim.

"Call a doctor!"

Soon enough, a team of nurses and a doctor rush in to check up on Nicholas.

His eyes slightly part and shift from side to side.

"Oh my God!" Rachel exclaims in joy. 

He starts to cough and breathe in at an alarming rate. They adjust the bed for his to sit up as they help him up.

"Stay calm, honey, you're okay, you're okay," the doctor says. 

He tries to speak as his breaths become steady again but no voice comes out. He looks completely confused and dazed. 

What does it feel like to wake up from a coma? Is it like waking up from a long night's rest? Is it like getting woken up by an alarm clock in the morning? I wonder if he even knows he's been out for nearly a week.

I step out for a moment to call Johnny and tell him the good news. His voice becomes elevated and ecstatic as he tells me he's on his way. I then call Adam who reacts the same way. 

They all get here in under ten minutes and are anxious to see Nick. Somehow the nurses allowed us all to shove ourselves in to the room to celebrate Nick's awakening. 

He still looks confused and scared to be honest. He stares at all of us without answering as we ask him how he is and how he feels. 

"Who are you people?"

Oh no...

This can't actually be happening.