Operate

Firemen broke in to the van to pull us out. Johnny, Dan and I are escorted out and told to sit on a stretcher covered by a tarp so we don't get wet. Some paramedics focus on Johnny's arm, while some focus on Dan and I making sure we didn't get any neck or head injuries. We're treated for going in to shock. Dan says my skin turned to white. Guess, we have been pretty shaken. Adam got knocked out cold while he was in his bunk, but he has come to but doesn't recall the day at all. He's just glad that he didn't die in his sleep.

Grant, our merch guy, got trapped in the bathroom by the way the truck had hit us and broke our vehicle. He's terrified, but okay, physically at least. There's paramedics giving, Eric, our manager CPR. Their shouting of the word "clear," gives me the idea that they're using and AED because he isn't responding.

Nicholas, though, is in critical condition and was the first to be rushed to the hospital in an ambulance. They say that they suspect internal bleeding and a severe concussion. Last I saw him, he had an oxygen mask on his face and had his head was strapped firmly to the stretcher. 

The paramedics back away from Eric, looking frustrated and upset. "Time of death 2:32 pm."

Everything stops.

My stomach tightens and causes me to throw up suddenly. My head feels light as air and numb. I'm given water by the paramedics to stay functioning.

I'm horrified. I'm scared to death. A heavy feeling of distress has sunk in to my body, making it impossible to breathe or comprehend anything around me. The cars and the people all look distant and distorted. It's like I'm in a dream. More like a nightmare. Everything slows down as the reality settles in. My friend and coworker just died, and my best friend since the third grade could die too. 

Finally, we're taken to a hospital. Getting rushed in through the white walls, the hall seems endless. It's like we're moving in slow motion, but at super sonic speeds at the same time. It feels like I'm high, but worse, the anxiety is overwhelming. 

They lead me to a room in the ER. Sitting on the bed as I wait for a doctor, I look down at my hands, and it's like looking at someone else's hands. Dreamlike sensations surround me as I look around.

Someone comes in to talk to me. They ask how I feel and I say I have no idea. They tell me that the open wound on my forehead needs stitches for it to heal, so I give them permission to do their thing. One of the nurses says she thinks something is off about the way I'm acting, that I'm too spaced out and calm to be getting stitches after an accident like that. The doctor says it's probably my brain's self defense mechanism. My brain had pulled me out of my enviorment to protect me from facing the reality. What did he call it? Dissociation?

An hour later after they had finished with my face, I ask where my friends are. Johnny is two "rooms" down to the right, Dan is next to that one, and Adam is three to the left. Nick is in the OR getting surgery to stop the internal bleeding around his lungs, a delicate and semi risky operation. I heard his skin had started turning purple, making it a severe case and an emergency. 

His lungs...

 If he survives this, he's going to kill himself when he can't sing. And if he can, it'll probably hurt like hell for a while.

I pull out my phone and call my family. My mother, worried sick, says she'll drive up here immediately with my father. My sisters, all older than me, show their concern and support, but are unable to find any tickets from where they are to here that they can afford.

I call Rachel, Nick's wife, to tell her the bad news. She starts crying over the phone. I can hear her baby cry in the background, too. She asks where we are and I send her my location through text. 

"That's too far of a drive. Our car will never make it," she whimpers, "fuck, I hope there's a flight available."

"Maybe you could call the airport and see what they can do since this is an emergency," I suggest.

"I will thanks."

She hangs up to be able to call. Her voice was so desperate and sad, I felt so bad. I really do hope she can find something on time.

In Johnny's room, I find him laying down on his back with his new cast on his left arm. He's still awake but probably under the influence of sedatives and pain killers. 

"You good?" I ask him as I approach him. He looks really sad but doesn't answer. "C'mon Johnny, you're always complaining that we have awful communication."

"Nick could die. Eric did die. And my dominant arm is fucking broken. Of course I'm not good, Lloyd," he mutters, but articulates every word surprisingly well. "We finally got back on the road again, and we almost get killed. It's awful."

"We'll get back out there soon," I say, trying to be optimistic.

"And what if Nick doesn't make it? Are we just gonna replace him again?" he questions, making it clear that he opposes that idea.

"No, he's not going to die, Johnny," I assure him, though it's not convincing with my scared voice.

"You don't know that!" Johnny snaps his voice cracks under pressure. "My best friend could die and I can't fucking handle that, Lloyd! I can't lose someone else!" his eyes start tearing up as he looks straight up the ceiling. 

"It's going to be o-"

"Shut the fuck up. You don't even believe that," he strikes to interrupt me, "I need to be alone."

"Okay, I'll be around here if you need me."

I step out of the room and go towards Dan's. He's eating a red apple on the bed. How the hell is he eating? I'm so anxious that the thought of putting anything in my mouth, makes me want to vomit.

"How're you holding up?" I ask Dan.

"My head hurts, but other than that, I think I'm good, you?"

"Nervous. You know, about Nicholas," I reply, "and Eric."

"Oh right..." his voice gets quieter till there's nothing but silence in the room. "Have you spoken to Johnny or Adam? How are they?"

"Johnny isn't doing so hot emotionally, and I haven't talked to Adam yet."

We both end up heading out of the room to find Adam. He had ice packs on his head and on his shoulder. He smiles when we walk in, immediately making the enviorment a little bit brighter. 

"What's up, Adam," Dan greets.

"Pain. Lots of pain," Adam laughs, "but I'm holding up. Any news on Nick?"

"No. He's still in surgery," I answer. His smile turns to a subtle frown. This whole thing is starting to break us all.

"Has anyone canceled the rest of the dates?" Dan asks.

"Oh shit, I hadn't even thought about that," I answer then pull out my phone to make a public announcement on our social media.

I take a picture of my shoes and write a caption explaining our situation and how the tour must be canceled for the time being. How we hope to over come this to get back on the road to play for them. Minutes later the comments flood with support from our fans. Not a single comment mentions wanting their money back. I'm glad because this whole hospital thing is going to be so expensive.

"So, now what?" Dan asks, with a sad voice.

"We wait to see how Nick reacts to the operation," Adam answers.

"Yeah..."