VI

The next day, Prince Daniel decided to join his mother for breakfast. He felt terrible for all the words they had exchanged the previous day, so he decided to face his mother and apologise.

He found his mother seated, reading the daily newsletter as she took small sips of her tea. "I have come to apologise, dear mother. I shouldn't have addressed you like that yesterday," he said as he plopped down onto the seat next to his mother.

"You know the only way for me to forgive you is by marrying Mr Smith's daughter." She replied, still not taking her eyes off the newsletter, "you will not only make me happy, but you would bring a joyous smile on your father's face. I'm sure he will wake up, the moment he hears the news."

Speaking of his father, Prince Daniel had been dreading visiting him. He didn't want to accept that his father was lying on his death bed. He just wanted him to wake up one morning and see that he was alright so that they could pretend nothing happened. He didn't want to be king if it meant marrying the she-devil Mary Anne.

"I still have a month and some weeks mother, if I fail to find the right lady by then," he sighed, "I'll resign and let uncle be king." He quickly whispered that last part.

"What was that, son? I didn't quite catch that."
His mother said, raising her eyebrows.

"I'll marry that evil witch mother." He grumbled as he looked at the skies hoping for a miracle.

"She's not a witch Daniel!" His mother said as she hit the table emphasising the fact that she has had enough of his crude comments.

"That's what she said too, mother. Look at that; she has you fooled." Daniel continued to make more comments, not caring that he would get on his mother's nerves.

Sighing, she placed her newsletter on the table and turned to face Daniel. "Look, I am willing to help you find your future bride Daniel. You know I also don't approve of Mary Anne."

He scoffed at her statement, knowing fully well that there was a reason that she said, what she said. "However, dear son, for the sake of peace, it would be best if you marry Mary Anne. The two kingdoms can merge and-."

"Ah, I see, mother," Daniel interrupted while she was still talking. "The reason you want me to marry her is so that we can merge kingdoms and expand on our territory."

"Is that the only thing you heard throughout the entire speech?" His mother said while rolling her eyes. "I told you, I am willing to help you within these few months."

"And how exactly do you wish to help?"

"A ball," his mother replied, ecstatically clapping her hands.

Daniel's eyes widened in realisation, but to be sure, he said, "I'm not sure, I quite follow."

"A ball! We will invite all the fair maidens, the ones that look quite exquisite of course and each of them will be announced as they walk in." Queen Coldante continued to say, "or how about we make it a masquerade ball? The more mysterious, the more intriguing, huh my dear son?" She said as she nudged him.

"No mother, we are to invite everyone whether they come from a poor or rich background." He said, as his mind wandered to the lovely maiden.

"No! We shall not bring in the filthiest women to dine with us. Nobody will respect us anymore. Do you want that?" His mother retorted, enraged by the fact that he would suggest such a thing.

"It's either that or you let me do as I wish," Daniel shrugged, turning to face his mother.

"Dear son, I want what's best for you. What if you fall in love with a poor lady? All she will do is run you dry. How can you even think to court one?"

"Not everyone is a gold digger, mother."

"Fine, you can invite everyone you wish to invite, but the ball will be on the outside terrace, make sure to tell Derrick to lock the castle doors. We can not trust anyone to roam in the castle when we are all outside." She said.

"There you have it, this Sunday we shall have a masquerade ball. Nevertheless, we shall not disclose the real reason behind it. It will only anger the Smith family. However, I promise you this dear son; it shall be a masquerade ball that everyone will surely remember," She continued to say, smiling to herself as she stared straight ahead.

"I'll leave you to it, mother." He tapped the table lightly standing up to head towards the door.

Daniel left her mother and started to head towards the direction of the servant quarters to speak to Francine. He needed to tell her to go to the town city and tell the Duke about the event. The duke had to inform every lady of every background to appear at the ball.

He knew his mother would never allow anyone to waltz into the castle grounds, so he decided to take matters into his own hands. He hoped his lady friend Avery would join because that would make him extremely happy.

He couldn't control the giddy feelings he started to obtain, he only wished to hug her, see her and talk to her once again. He found peace in her company, and he wouldn't want to be around anything or anyone else but her when she was around. He also needed to see her soon; however, for now, he needed to lay low, everyone was trying to snoop into his business and figure out what he was up to.

"Francine," he shouted as soon as he reached the staff quarters. "Yes, my Lord." She answered. He wasn't too sure about talking with her here, mainly because Derrick would be around and he would not hesitate to report to the queen, causing all the guards to be on standby, hitting everyone who walked in, not caring whether they are women or not.

"Walk with me, Francine," he started to walk towards the other part of the castle, not waiting for dear old Francine to catch up to him. He was searching for the dark hall that led to the emergency back door. 

Once Francine was in sync with Daniel, he stopped before whispering to her. "I need you to go to town, inform the duke that the Coldante's are holding a ball this Sunday and that every fair maiden is to come, no matter their background."

Francine nodded, "Is that all sir?"

"No, inform the Duke to register all the ladies who are to attend the ball, and to have the lists ready by sundown," he said as he turned to head back to the castle. However, he remembered something and called her, causing her to stop in her tracks and face him. 

"Can you please pick for me those lists too? Also, be sure not to inform anyone, not even my mother of this. Do. I. Make. Myself. Clear?" He said.

"Yes, my Lord."

"Go now, if anyone asks where you are going, tell them you are heading to the market place."

Francine left through the back castle doors, hurriedly not wanting to disappoint the prince. When Daniel saw that Francine had successfully left the premises, he let out a breath that he had been holding.

He went into the living room to take a seat and started to contemplate how he would break the news to Avery, about him being Prince Daniel instead of Darrius. He had two options to rip off the band-aid, confess and hurt her feelings, thus causing her never to want to talk to him again or to play double life.

Looking at his options, it seemed he would have to go for the former because this event would require him to not be in a mask most of the time, and wear the crown on his head. However, his mind couldn't help but think about the latter. How would it end if he played double life during the event?
•••••••••

Vote. Comment.
Tell me your opinions on this chapter. I would genuinely appreciate it if you did.
Thanks😃