XVI

"No no no no my fair maiden. This is Prince Daniel of the Coldante Dynasty."

Avery's eyes widened before she slowly burst out laughing, "You must be mistaken, sir."

"Oh, I am most certainly not," Derrick said, continuing.

"You better stop talking before I end your miserable life," Prince Daniel said, as his body shook viciously.

"Is it true, Darrius or Daniel?" Avery asked hoping it wasn't.

Prince Daniel was almost on the verge of tears, but he had to be strong so that he could reach home safe and fight Derrick.

He nodded.

Avery was too stunned. She had been betrayed, lied to and humiliated. She didn't want to see him ever again; she didn't want to hear from him. All she wanted to do was go home, rest and cry her eyes out.

She passed by him to try and escape, but he caught her elbow, went down on his knees and begged her to listen.

"You lied. I'm not going to listen to the words of a liar!" she spat, her voice filled with venom and her face turning red.

"Oh, please, my dear listen to me. Let me explain-," Prince Daniel managed to choke out, but she wanted to hear nothing from him.

"What's there to explain? Why didn't you tell me before? You had so many opportunities to say something."

"I think you were just a fling for him. You know he is betrothed to another, but because of a certain Avery, the plans stopped," Derrick continued to fuel the fire.

"No no no, he is lying-." Prince Daniel tried to say, but she interrupted him, asking, "who should I believe? You or the one who had the guts to tell me about your real identity?"

"I may be Prince Daniel, but I can assure you I am not betrothed. You are the only one I want."

"Then why did you lie?"

"You were like a new light in my life. You shined brighter than the rest. Everyone around me kept reminding me of my duties and responsibilities, but then I found you. You didn't know who I was; you didn't know I was the prince. I lived a normal happy life when I was around you. I felt so comfortable in your presence. I never wanted to let you go."

"Don't be fooled by his words; once a liar always a liar! And even if this romance were to blossom into something, it would just never happen. Your statuses are completely different; society will never accept you," Derrick said, interrupting their moment.

"Damnation boy! Haven't you done enough? You always tell me your loyalties lie with me. I think my mother might have even put you up to this," Prince Daniel shouted, his entire resolve almost varnishing. However, one look at Avery and he could feel himself once again. He never wanted to let her go; he couldn't bring himself to do it.

"How come you didn't tell me?" she whispered, her voice barely audible. She couldn't believe that all this drama was happening to her. She repeatedly asked the question; the words, a constant loop in her mind.

"I was going to tell you now, but he seemed to have followed me, ready and intent on hurting the only person I care about. I'm so sorry Avery, I never meant to lie to you."

Avery wanted to listen, she tried to forgive him, but she also knew their worlds were different. How would she fit in with his high status? She hoped he would fight for her, but somehow another part of her didn't want him to do it.

"I have to go." Avery was quick to say.

"Wait no, please, don't go." He hugged her still down on his knees.

"You're a Prince. I'm a bloody commoner. You are meant to be with a princess."

"Then, being a prince be damned! I'll resign! I'll do anything to be with you," he said, his voice filled with desperation.

Avery's eyes widened, "no no no, you mustn't do such silly things because of what you consider a fling."

"This is more than a fling. This means so much to me-." Daniel tried to explain.

"However, to me, it was just a fling. I'll be leaving soon too. I honestly don't want to spend another moment in this damn place," she said as she sighed.

"You're lying. You are only saying that to spite me," Daniel said, his eyes red from holding his tears.

"I'm sorry, but we can not see each other, and if you don't leave me right now, I'll be forced to shoot you with an arrow." She lifted her head, facing Derrick, "I'll shoot you as well Mister."

"Please don't leave me. If you want to shoot me at least do it in the chest, that way the pain can stop," Daniel said, as a lone tear betraying him as it slipped down his eye.

Derrick, however, was moving his hands to the back of his trouser to look for his gun. He noticed them talking to each other, but she was having none of it.

He got out his gun ready to aim at Avery. However, she was fast. Her arrow hit his hand, which caused him to groan in pain. Daniel's hold on her waist loosened so that he could turn back to see what happened.

This was her chance at freedom, she thought, so slowly slipping from his hold, she ran. She could hear her name being called from the back, but she wasn't going to stop anytime. There was cliff up ahead to her disadvantage, and when she turned back to run, Prince Daniel had caught up to her.

"Please don't leave me," He said, as he once again got on his knees.

Derrick had finally managed to catch up. He was even more surprised at the fact that a girl shot at him. She had such excellent archery skills.

"No, your Majesty. Our lives are different. You have a duty to your kingdom. I'm just someone who will drag you down."

Prince Daniel stood up, running a hand through his hair. Without putting any thought into it, he cupped her face and slammed his lips on hers; it was a forceful kiss at first which was why Avery didn't respond but slowly by slowly it started to become more passionate. She was about to respond back, however when he removed his lips from hers.

She slapped him hard, right across the face and screamed, " how dare you!"

"Listen and listen to me closely; I will not stop fighting for us. I will make sure to fight for what we have. Mark my words, my dear, this isn't the last time you have heard from me." He whispered, making sure Derrick didn't hear.

He turned to leave the forest but not before punching Derrick until he collapsed to the ground.

••••••••••

She now knows!

What do you think she should do?

Forgive him or not?

Let me know what you think.