XV

"Francine!"

"My L-." However, before she could finish that statement, Prince Daniel gave her a death glare warning her not to complete that statement. Avery was oblivious to the whole exchange because her eyes were focused on her grandmother.

"Wait, you know each other?" Avery asked, this time her gaze landing on Daniel.

Prince Daniel was the first to say something. "Yes, we... um, work together down at the castle."

"You work in the castle! You never told me," Avery said, turning back to her grandmother.

"Do they treat you well? Is the work too hectic?" She said, searching her grandmother to see if she had any scars.

"They treat me well. No worries, dear." Even though her grandmother assured her that everything was alright, Avery couldn't help but become saddened by the fact that she was the reason her grandmother worked so tirelessly.

"Wait, what were you about to call him?" She remembered.

"My-." However, one last look at Daniel, and she knew not to say it. " I was going to call him...my...lovely son." She went on to say.

"That's what I call him back at the workplace." She continued to say, frustrated that she had to keep more secrets from her.

"Oh, Darrius please take a seat," Her grandmother said as she pulled the chair for him to sit.

"Would you like anything Darrius?" Her grandmother asked, a fake smile plastered on her face.

"No, thank you. I'm okay." He said, facing down.

Silence filled the room until Avery decided to break it. "So I have never really gotten the chance to ask this, but where do you come from?"

"I come from... the northern province of the kingdom."

"Which part of the northern province if I may ask?" Francine asked, holding a cup of tea that she had earlier made.

Prince Daniel turned to look at her, anger clouding his vision, he wanted to yell at her but he couldn't because Avery would be mad at him.

(A/N - regular font will be Avery / bold font Daniel, and italic font will be Francine.)

"Just the northern province."

"Oh come on, please tell me your address I would love to send you mail," Avery said.

"Sending the mail to the castle will be fine."

"What if the queen checks the mail and finds out? Does she even allow her workers to date?"

"I highly doubt that she cares about what the workers get into."

"So Darrius, what's your last name?"

"Darrius Knight. Mrs Francine."

"Oh, please call me Mrs Summers. Eh.. hmm, and who are your parents? what do they do for a living?"

"My parents are not around."

"Oh, I'm sorry, Darrius. Grandmother, why are you so harsh?"

"This is only just the beginning, my dear." Her grandmother said as she grabs a stool from the living room area.

"What are your intentions with my granddaughter?"

"I only have the best intentions. I truly care for her."

"Why are you here? Let me assure you, Mr Knight; my granddaughter is no plaything. You will treat her with respect."

"I treat her with respect. I treasure her, and I want to be with her!"

________end of dialogue_________

"Then tell her the truth, you dimwit. Otherwise, you will regret it." Francine said as she stood up. "For all those who know me well, I respect every person that comes my way no matter how badly they treat me, however when it comes to my grandchild I'll just about hurt anyone who dares try to harm or disrespect her. Be warned Darrius, be warned."

Prince Daniel was surprised by her sudden outburst. She always appeared so fragile and delicate in his eyes. He didn't expect that she would have a fire burning inside of her.

He knew he had to tell Avery the truth, but how?

"Grandmother, what in the world has gotten into you today? I'm truly sorry, Darrius." Avery said, coming up to hug him.

"It's okay; she is just trying to protect you after all." He said, sending a reassurance smile towards Avery's way.

"I think I need to go. It was lovely seeing you again Francine, and it was fantastic seeing you, my love," Daniel said as he kissed her forehead.

"I'll go with you, at least push you up to somewhere far up ahead," Avery asked, however, her grandmother was weary. "Are you sure about this, my dear?" Francine asked, worry on her face. "I'll be fine. I'll even take my bow and arrows just in case of emergencies."

"Be careful," Francine said as they left the cottage.

Derrick was still in his lovely spot by the bushes anxiously waiting for them to get out of the house. When he heard voices coming his way, he leaned closer to the forests so that he could blend well into them. They bypassed him, which caused him to let out a sigh of relief.

He kept following close behind, trying hard to listen to their conversation.

"I'm truly sorry, Darrius. My grandmother didn't mean to do what she did. She's too overprotective."

Darrius? Who the heck is Darrius? Derrick thought as he managed to catch glimpses of the conversation.

"It's okay. I would understand why she would want to be protective of you. If you were mine, I'd probably be ten times worse," he said, as he placed his arm around her shoulder.

Darrius.... is Daniel? Oh, this is too good to be true, Derrick thought, smiling at the odds.

"However, there is something I need to tell you." Daniel turned to Avery to say. He was finally going to tell her the real truth.

Oh no, he is going to tell her the truth! I need to be the one to say to her! That way, it will hurt her more, and she will want to leave him! Derrick smiled as his head filled with despicable thoughts.

"Well, not on my watch," he whispered to himself, standing up to make his presence known. He intentionally stepped on a twig causing both heads to turn to him.

Prince Daniel turned and met Derrick's smug face. His face made Daniel enraged. He wanted to get the branch of the tree and hit him with it. Avery was just confused and wondering who the man was, but before she could ask, Derrick said, "well look at who we have here."

"Don't do this to me, Derrick," Prince Daniel said, with a warning look in his eyes.

"What do you mean 'don't do this to me'? Don't do what? I'm so confused. Darrius, please tell me who this man is." Avery asked, hoping she would get her answer.

Derrick laughed, hitting his knee and breathlessly saying, "Da- da- Darrius? Who is that?"

"He is Darrius. Are you not Darrius?" Avery asked, taking a slow step away from him.

"No no no no my fair maiden. This is Prince Daniel of the Coldante Dynasty."

••••••••

Woah the truth is out! However, there are still more truths to be uncovered.

Stay tuned.

Vote.

Comment and tell me if you liked it.

Cheers...