Chapter Nine

"Oh shit!" 

We had been reading and talking basically since he had came back from the bathroom, never running out of things to say. At first, it was hard for me to find my words, but, eventually, it all slid into place. I had not meant to fall asleep around two o'clock in the morning. Gerard had told me he was just going to rest, not sleep. I had, in no way, anticipated him pass out on his pillow.  

I really had not planned on myself falling asleep on his chest. 

You can imagine my surprise when I woke up and found my nose inches from his. 

Normally, this would be very, very comical, but now, I wasn't laughing and neither was he. I had made it clear that last night I was leaving at two-thirty, and I'd be back in the Luna House by three. 

"Lola, what are you doing? Aren't you supposed to be-" 

"Back at the orphanage, yes!" I exclaimed frantically, leaping up from his bed. A part of me was so scared, I wanted to cry, but another part of me was scared to show my tears in front of one of my two friends. 

"I am so-" 

"Gerard, cram it," I snapped, frantically running my hands through my hair as I searched the floor for my boots. 

"-Sorry." 

I turned my face towards him, "Gerard, it's fine. I'm just going to get in trouble. I'll probably be back here again this afternoon." My eyes finally caught the edge of my dark purple combat boots by the door. I sat down on the floor and slid both boots on. 

"Lola, I feel really bad that I left us both fall asleep," Gerard said, getting up from his bed. His hair was a mess. Just one colossal mess.  

"It's okay, Gerard," I replied, looking over his as I grabbed my backpack and coat. "Look, I'll be back later. Tell Mikey I said bye, okay?"  

Gerard stared at me for a second. He reached one pale arm out towards me and touched my shoulder lightly. I started to get nervous, and wanted to turn and leave, but that would be horrible, and I wouldn't want to come back later. "Okay, Lola. Don't let her push you around too much, and, if you need too, you're welcome here anytime." 

I nod my head once and disappear out the door, down the hallway, and into the world that had bruised me so badly. 

I was expecting to get yelled at. Even if I had gone home at two or whatever last night, I knew I was going to get in trouble. It's not like I care though. She can't hurt me. 

Sneakily, I crept in the front door. There were no girls in the hallway. No voices being carried from rooms. I let out a sigh of relief as I slid off my shoes, holding them in my hands as I crept off towards my room. 

"LOLA. EMERSON." 

Noticeably wincing, I turned and saw Mrs. Norris standing there. She had been drinking. That's why nobody was here.  

"Where have you been?" She commanded. It was hard to understand her. 

"I was with one of my friends," I muttered, lowering my gaze. The drunken woman stumbled over to me. 

"You're so lucky I'm in a good mood, or... I might just.... Strangle you..." 

She was now eye to eye with me. I have never been as scared as I was now. I could smell the liquor very easily, almost choking on it. Mrs. Norris stared at me, one eye barely open while the other was wide open. 

"You think you're so special. You think you're so smart. Well, I'm sorry, Lola. You're an orphan. Your father didn't even want you, and your mother killed herself to get away from you-" 

"MY MOTHER WAS A GREAT WOMAN!" I scream back at her, feeling the tears rolling down my pale face . 

"THEN, WHY DID SHE KILL HERSELF?" 

I had been asking myself that question since it happened. Why did my mother kill herself right when everybody thought she was getting better? She tricked us all, even myself. I simply stood there, tears running down my face. 

"Exactly. It was because of you," Mrs. Norris spat. Her eyes were level with mine, "The sooner you realize that, the better off you are. That goes for whoever you've been seeing. Whoever he or she is, I can guarantee that they'll leave you one day because you are just so unbearable." 

I close my eyes, covering up the fear and anger and uncertainty. Gerard would never leave me. Never. Right? "I hate you," I whisper, still hiding behind my eyelids. 

"What was that?" 

"I HATE YOU, YOU STUPID BITCH!" I shriek, my eyes flinging open as I clench my fists.  

Mrs. Norris raises her right hand, and, in one swift movement, she slapped my left cheek with one skilled hit. I let out a whimper as my whole body falls backwards and I land on the floor. 

This evil woman leaned down towards me, her nose nearly touching mine. "Leave and never come back," she hissed, stood upright, and the disappeared into another room. 

I rose to my feet and ran up to my room, throwing open the door like I had done so many times before, except this is the last time I'll ever do it.  

I put my school backpack on my bed and opened it, pulling out my art portfolio. Grabbing all of my drawings and paintings off the walls that I had accumulated since the fire, I put them in the portfolio then returned it to my bag barely fitting it all in the portfolio. Then, my brain thought back to the books in the box under my bed. I took the whole box and emptied the few small and large books into my backpack that was rapidly gaining weight. I went to my closet and snatched half of all of my shirts and pants and undergarments and throwing them into my one empty pocket.  

With that, I walked to the window and opened it. The cool breeze entered the room as I turned and gazed back at the now blank and empty place that was always so cold and never my room. I nod a silent goodbye and climb out of the window into the tree 

This tree had always been the best part of the whole orphanage. I would spent hours and hours up here drawing or reading or doing nothing at all. I sat there for a moment, enjoying the view of this horrible town before reaching into the the nook and taking out my special treasures, sliding the button into my pocket, the ball into my bag, and carrying my bear in my hands. 

For a few horrible minutes, my feet just carried me across the pavement, tears running down my face. Other then now, I can't recall the last time I cried. I'm not even sure why I was crying either. Leaving is a very, very good thing, but not under these circumstances. Does this mean I'm homeless? 

And then, I remembered what Gerard had said. 

I'm always welcome with him and Mikey. Feeling slightly better, I stopped dead in my tracks and hurried off towards the Way's. 

Probably in my whole life, I have never been so happy, even though I was still crying, but I'm not so sure that was because I was sad.  

Only a few moments later, my eyes were scanning across the Way's front yard. I crossed it in an instant and knocked. Gerard answered and seemed very surprised to see me. I was so relieved to see a friendly face, I leaped towards himin a very close and unexpected hug, my fingers touching the back of his black jacket. 

"Lola? What happened?" He gasped. 

I pulled back slowly away from him, showing my tear stricken face, as I proceeded to messily tell my story. Gerard watched me stumble and sputter, and he never seemed to mind that I got my words confused more often then not. When I was finally done, Gerard was still hugging me, his eyes searching over my now greasy, blue hair and dirty clothes. He didn't even care that I looked like garbage. 

"I am so sorry, Lola," He murmured, "Please, stay here with me and Mikey. Please." 

I leaned my head into his chest. Even if it's only for a few weeks, I would love that more than everything. Forget what Mrs. Norris said. Gerard will always be here for me, so long as I'm always here for him. 

I think that's something I can do, but only for him.