Chapter Ten

The following days were the best in my life. Gerard and I would spend all day talking or reading or drawing or sometimes just laying around. 

It would almost surprise me how much Gerard and I had in common. The two of us could talk about a comic book for hours on end, and that was literally just the beginning.

In the times I was not with Gerard, Mikey would find his way to me. We would usually talk in frantic hushed voices about Gerard. Mostly, Mikey and I would discuss Gerard's mood swings and depression. Oddly enough, I found that talking to Mikey was more productive for me, but the more I found out about Gerard, the worse I felt.  

Anyway, just as all good times do, the fun ended and the following Monday Gerard and I trudged our way back to Belleview High School. Even though I in no way, wanted to step back into that hellhole, I couldn't wait to be there with Gerard. For myself, I had learned that my own bullying had began to subside for the moment, and even though I had no idea how long this would last, I'm happy for any break. 

The Monday was supposed to drag on like all the others before; I would spend a few hours on my own, go to lunch, hang out with Gerard under the bleachers, go to chemistry, go to art, and then go home with Gerard.  

I wish it had. 

So, there I sat in art, my easel set up and my painting on the stand. How long I had been there, I was unsure. Probably only a few minutes. I was so engaged in starting my painting, I was unaware of anybody around me or anything at all except my art. The tardy bell had just began to ring when the door swung open. I turned and saw Gerard standing in the open doorway. 

The immediate first thing I notice is his disheveled appearance. I mean, he's always disheveled, but never this much. I also notice a dribble of blood sliding down his lip. He quickly wiped it off, walked over to Mrs. Eight, handed her a piece of paper, and then came over by me.

"Gerard?" I whispered the moment he sat down with his easel and paint, "Are you okay?"

"I'm okay," he said simply, setting up his easel beside me, not even bothering with looking at me. I blinked a few times and then turned away. Something had surely happened. Whatever it was, why won't he tell me?

The rest of class, I kept to myself, working halfheartedly on the painting I knew would never live up to whatever Gerard would paint. As I was cleaning up my paint mess, I glanced over at Gerard. He wasn't really seeming to be all in working on his painting. He basically just sat there, exchanging looks between his paints and the easel, never actually painting. I think that's the point when I knew something was horribly, horribly wrong.

A few minutes later, Gerard, Mikey and I were walking in the front door. Gerard had not spoken at all since we had left the art room, only grunting softly at Mikey once when asked about his mood. After that, the walk home had been awkward and uneventful. Without any sort of recognition, Gerard slid his shoes off, sauntered past Mikey and I and walked back towards his bedroom. Mikey tapped my shoulder once, and I turned towards the awkward teenager who's appearance helped him hide a giant brain.

"Maybe you should see what's wrong with him," Mikey muttered, sliding off his own black shoes.

"I had planned on that," I replied, setting down my bag, "But if he's going to be a non-compliant jerk, then it's really pointless."

Mikey smiled slightly, revealing a row of crooked teeth much like his brother's. "Dude," he said, walking past me into the conjoined kitchen, "He will tell you anything. You just need to know the right way of asking."

I nodded my head. He had a good point, but the fact remained that I have no idea HOW to ask. I ignored that and walked back into Gerard and Mikey's crowded black bedroom. Gerard greeted me the moment I walked in with a loud groan as he rolled onto his stomach.