Chapter Thirteen

The sun was beginning to set on the coldest Halloween anybody could remember. Gerard and I had dressed up as Harley Quinn and the Joker as a sort of Easter egg to anybody who cared to really think about it. The stars were shining brightly over us as we locked hands and carried our twin plastic bags teeming with candy. My hat bells were bobbing in and out of my vision as I walked with Gerard down the sidewalk.

Gerard's costume was spectacular. He had an light purple dress shirt on beneath his green, sleeveless suit jacket and a green tie to match his also purple pants. I had painted his face for him. It was pale white with the trademark red scars from cheek to cheek. His hair was also a fantastic green color, dyed specifically for the night.

We looked wonderful and probably horrifying as we defiantly waltzed down the street, daring anybody to ask him about his scars. Perhaps our arrogance was our worst flaw.

Anyway, Gerard and I eventually milled around until we ended up at Cemetery Drive. Since the night we had became an 'official' couple, we have ended up here beside the mausoleum door, mostly talking and sometimes kissing. Tonight, however, it was special. We sat down in front of door, the stars and moon's light falling on us like a sweet satin cloak. It shown in Gerard's eyes as he looked at me. "Mikey will totally want to tear into my candy," He said and poured his bag out. Mikey was wanting to dress up as Harry Potter for Halloween and chickened out on trick-or-treating at the last minute. "So, I'm going to take all the good stuff and hide it here."

I snickered and poured out my bag too, brushing my hair behind my ears into the bell hat as I leaned over the pile. He had a good point. Mikey was sure to be itching for a Snickers bar by the time we got home. I shifted my hand through my pile, picking out the candy I wanted and returning it to my pocket.

We should have been paying more attention. I bet, had we looked up, we would have seen the bumbling man who was moaning and groaning from his sputtering intoxication. I bet if we hadn't been so preoccupied in each other, we would have noticed the armed and loaded weapon in one of his hands. He was ill, and, if we hadn't moved in for a kiss, we would have seen the look in his vacant eyes as he finally saw us.

There was a scuff in the dirt a few feet from us, and I tore away from Gerard. At first glance, I had assumed this was a cemetery worker. He would scold us for our obvious personal displays of affection, and the fact that we were trespassing, and shoo us away. But this was not a normal man. His eyes were hazed with the after effects of a night of binge drinking and drugs. It was obvious that he was unaware of what he was doing. All he knew was that he had a gun.

And it was loaded.

I gasped and leaped to my feet, pressing my back against the mausoleum. Gerard jumped beside me, candy falling from his over-stuffed purple pockets. He wrapped his hand around my arm and shakily spoke. "Look," He stuttered, "W-We really don't want any trouble, honestly. We were just leaving, right Lola?"

"Right," I agreed, nodding my head simply. Gerard's grip tightened his grip on my arm.

There was a sense of confusion for a moment, before the man with the gun blinked and looked at his handgun. "Y-You're the Joker..." The man said, running his finger over the trigger.

"No... N-No, man," Gerard said, shaking his head, "It's hallow-"

"SHUT UP!" The man with the gun raised his weapon so it was inches from Gerard's eyes. I gasped loudly. A smirk pulled on the man's face. "You-You're a crook. You t-think pranks are fuh-fuh-funny," He slurred, his whole hand shaking, "I like jokes too. I'm a funny guy. Hah. Hah. Funny." He lowered his weapon, running his finger over the trigger, "This gun has one bullet... I came up here to kuh-kuh-kill myself tonight, but, you know what? I'll make the world a buh-buh-better place!"