Chapter Twelve

Weeks and months went by. The sun awoke to find it's world frozen. It thawed us back to Jersey normal and brought a mild spring full of wet slush and rain. It brought me back to the orphanage when Gerard's parents returned, which I reluctantly returned. (Mrs. Norris was rather rigid towards me, but after a compromise, she allowed me my own time to see Gerard whenever I please). It brought the end of my tenth grade year and both of our sixteenth birthdays which we shared in a quiet celebration by that mausoleum. It brought the end to the first four months of a harlequin romance.

And then, the earth slowly wound it's way around the sun, and summer arrived, heating Jersey to a boil. Gerard and I would spend nearly everyday hanging out somewhere in Belleview, wandering the streets. Even though it was dangerous, we felt like we could do and go wherever we wanted, because we were an invicible team. Like Batman and Robin. 

Or, like the Joker and Harley Quinn.

 Nevertheless, time continued on. Over the summer, our false relationship had pittered to a hault. With nobody to see us, what was the point? I felt that was a little bothersome, and, it was strange, but I was begining to miss his reassuring hand hold and our staged hugs and gooey conversations. Our audience had grown at the end of the year to the point of collective "awws" from people we didn't know in the hallway. Our plan had succeeded. Mission accomplished. We can all go home now.

But.

What if I didn't really want it to end?

I could never tell Gerard or anyone, and I was begining to believe I didn't even know what I was feeling myself. Parts of me were longing to be near him every second. To hold him when he's sad and laugh with him when he's happy. Another part of me felt horrible. This was supposed to have been a fake romance. There had been one rule. One. Rule. Do not fall in love with Gerard Way.

But, of course, I had disregarded the rules again.

The worst part?

Gerard Way was not falling in love with me.

-

Summer ended just like we knew it would. When it ended, I cried in my room at the orphanage for three hours. Despite my emotions that stung and broke me at nearly every turn, it really had been the best summer of my life. This had been the first time in years I had been happy, and it was ending.

The only thing that made me want to return was the prospect of continuing our fake romance, and maybe, just maybe, on one of those days when we'd hug and hold hands in the hallway, I could pretend, even for a second, that our relationship was real. So, for many, many weeks, in my head, I pretended I was Gerard's real girlfriend instead of his best friend who was only around to keep the bullies away.

Around October, Gerard and I had our false relationship going strong. Everybody at school believed it, including myself. It was close to halloween when Gerard and l left the art room after school for the mausoleum. We'd go there everyday, usually with Mikey, and read comics and talk, and I would secretly wish that he'd decide that I didn't just have to be a fake girlfriend.

But today, we passed the middle school door without stopping. I glanced over my shoulder once and then continued following Gerard. "What about Mikey?" I asked, shoving my hands in my pocket.

Gerard smiled slightly, walking with his head towards the ground and his hair flopping behind him. "My brother had more pressing matters to attend to," he replied. Mikey doesn't have any friends or basically any hobbies. He loved to run around with us, and he did so frequently. The only times he was not with us, however, was when he was sick. I knew for a fact he had not been sick today.

I pursed my lips and followed Gerard around the corner onto Cemetery Drive. We both walked up the crumbling steps towards the mausoleum. I had a sense of nostalgia from the day I had first met him. It hurt to remember how miserable I had been just a few months ago. I had been alone and sick and sad. It's amazing how much one person has changed me.